Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Thread: Saturday 13th

craftdancer2 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default Saturday 13th

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Morning all! Dull, wild and windy this morning as well as unseasonably warm. Looks like we'll escape any rain today but promised a deluge tomorrow.

Yesterday I managed to make the quince chutney and start the spicy quince chutney, for which I've had to cook the fruit then put it to strain as it uses only pulp. At the same time I cooked the peels and cores from the other batch to extract the juice so I've got jelly to do as well. Managed to get labelling up to date, but still got some to print to finish off a couple of batches of stuff.

Today, been good and washed kitchen floor first so that's drying while I have coffee and catch up here and fb. Chutney and jelly as mentioned above to finish off, then long soak in the bath this afternoon and also try and get a nap as woke up at stupid o'clock again this morning. And still waiting for parcel brother oredered which was supposed to arrive yesterday.

Hope you've all survived the stormy weather and your weekend plans go smoothly.

HAGO
    Linda

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Morning all

Could not get on earlier so a it late, plus overslept must have needed 9 hours!

You have a lot on your 'To Do' list today, hope you get it all done and it sets as it should.

We got the edge of Storm Callum, very wild and wooly out there and think most of the leaves have come down. A squirrel is taking out the box plants and placing his winter food store in the holes. Each morning Lee has to go and find the plants strewn across the garden, dig out the nuts and replant. Until they have routed going to happen.

Knitting today some more Santa mitts and also started a baby jacket which the plan is to add lace to the edges. Ordered some textured wool for some pixie hats again with lace and trim. Must admit getting back into knitting again is helping my hands and the pain in the joints has subsided. Love knitting baby clothes but have to add lace etc to them to make different,

Have a wonderful day folks x

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

Morning all...
    Bit stormy last night, being down at the bottom of the gorge, it tends to funnel the wind through here like theres no tomorrow, pulled three trees down into gardens since we have lived here.
    Not much on, need to hoover up the ticker tape parade after the last cut, got an A3 Rapunxel biggie to crack along with then a Harry Clarke “Morella” A3, just printed up ( google it, its immense, I must be mad 😜 )).
    Dogs got the trots, that’s not much fun, Sue is at the theatre tonight so left to my own devices, best not get too drunk, what, with the dogs problems and all that, lol.

Just thought, Caroline, William Morris. I love his work. We are not too far away from Whitwick manor which was owned by the Mander family of paint fame. His original papers decorate the place plus furnishings, we have been a few times....glorious....plus his patterns are public domain so the old scalpel might “ Be doing a bit” as they say this way.

Dave.

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

....And while I’m at it, just seen a recipe for slow cooker apple butter...sounds yum..Linda, heard of it? What type apple, doesn’t say...?
    Apples, cinnamon, cardamon, star anise...
    Dave.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I love WM prints which is why I am attracted to use them on my notebooks. The V & A have a good display.

Have the Watts Gallery and Artists village near us, love to browse and see what is on.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dDave View Post
    ....And while I’m at it, just seen a recipe for slow cooker apple butter...sounds yum..Linda, heard of it? What type apple, doesn’t say...?
    Apples, cinnamon, cardamon, star anise...
    Dave.
    Yes, Dave - it's quite popular with some members of the fb preserving groups I belong to. Not made it myself as I have no room to leave the slow cooker out for required time.

Most recipes seem to suggest dessert/eating apples but the couple of quotes below more or less sum it up:

"Really you can use any apples you happen to have on hand for apple butter.
    Generally speaking, softer varieties of apples such as Fuji, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, or Jonagold work better since they cook down faster."

"For apple butter, we like to use Mcintosh, Red Delicious or Gala because they are easy to find in our stores. Although Granny Smith are great for baking, they are not recommended for apple butter. Also, some apples are sweeter than others. You can adjust how much sugar you use based on how sweet your apple is."

A quick google brings up a wealth of information - the US are particularly fond of fruit butters and cheeses and bloggers are very generous with their recipes, hints and tips.

Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it

Linda

"To Do" list has gone to pot Caroline - it's taken so long and been so messy to get the quince pulp separated from the skins etc that I am sick of it all The chutney is on the stove top - been cooking for an hour and has another hour to go.

I am going out this evening and also desparately need to have a soak in the bath before getting ready so I am going to run out of time. I will finish the chutney tomorrow and make the jelly then as well, now all the really messy bits are done and cleared up

Linda

Lilly42 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Afternoon all,

Weather here warm bordering on hot, strange as yesterday was blowing hooley and wet, winter yesterday and spring today and winter predicted tomorrow and spring on Monday. What is going on?

LED light s arrived yesterday, they are just as I hoped for, I will get on with those over the next few days.

I might try for my Xmas and birthday present early, just not so much fun anymore winding my old die cutting machine, there is a special on at the moment, a good price for the Gemini.

Having to spend some time tidying up in the shop, leads and a bit of general sorting. Not too bad in this weather, sun shining in through the big shop windows, warm as toast.

I too like WM and the arts and crafts movement in general, I prefer art nouveau to art deco but art deco has it merits. My favourite is Chinese art, architecture, embroidery, wood carving, and well almost all of it.

Have a good day everyone.
    Just so you can see my work, my FB page https://www.facebook.com/iconstudiossouthampton/

Thread Information