Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Anyone know how Hampshire trading standards feel about food imitations?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I make soaps and candles that look like food, and was wondering if anyone knows if Hampshire trading standards are ever okay with people selling food imitations (of course assuming you label the products with "do not eat")? I've been reading about experiences people in other parts of the country have been having, and it seems like whether or not they deem it okay to sell food imitations depends on the person assessing your situation/the area you're in.

craftdancer2 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Quote Originally Posted by SteffiFrances View Post
    I make soaps and candles that look like food, and was wondering if anyone knows if Hampshire trading standards are ever okay with people selling food imitations (of course assuming you label the products with "do not eat")? I've been reading about experiences people in other parts of the country have been having, and it seems like whether or not they deem it okay to sell food imitations depends on the person assessing your situation/the area you're in.
    The only way to find out for sure is to contact the TS Department and ask them. They are not ogres and are there to help people like yourself; I have found my local council very helpful (North Lincolnshire).

I know, from personal experience and reported instances, but a slightly different perspective that there is no national consistency of TS interpretations of legal rulings, judgements and guidance; it is all down to the individual councils and the individuals within the department (and possibly even which side of the bed they got out of that morning!).

Sorry I can't give you any definitive information, and I do understand why you are trying to find out this information before making it a formal enquiry, but I would recommend the only way to get a definitive and safe answer is to speak to the people who hold the reins on the matter.

Linda

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I think the safest bet would be to contact TS direct in Hampshire and ask them. There are so many hoops when making soaps etc now such as the government portal for your recipes etc strict rules and regs. Always better to ask and then be safe not sorry.

More info here

So trading standards have gotten back to me and they were expressing concern that a child may eat them, they then said "You will need to carryout risk assessments and possibly seek the advice of experts such as test houses or paediatricians." do you think because they said "possibly" this means my own risk assessment would suffice? (I know my own assessment is enough when it comes to certain things related to candles, such as deciding if a container is safe). If not anyone know where I can find a paediatrician who will tell me if my candles are safe or not?
    Last edited by SteffiFrances; 05-10-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Personally I would say donít make them. Have you checked with your product liability insurer as they may not cover you for food looking items. Not worth losing your home for.

If anyone wants to know, my own risk assessments for candles suffice (just asked them for clarification)
    Last edited by SteffiFrances; 09-10-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Thread Information