Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Jules1050 is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Victorian travel trunk

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Attachment 47002Hi all, might as well jump in at the deep-end. I've made myself a trunk to store our shoes in. It's mainly ply and covered in wallpaper. I had hoped that when varnished, the paper would harden up and that would make it resistant to gentle knocks. The varnish is not yet dry, but I'm already doubting its durability . Can anyone offer any advice on anything I can put on the paper to harden it please . Thanks in advance .
    Attached Images Attached Images

craftdancer2 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Love the trunk, but no real advice on the varnish. We have some members here who are very knowledgeable about these things, so be patient and hopefully one of them will be along to offer some options.

Linda

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Hi Jules, love the trunk. I think to try and put any other finish over varnish that isn't dry wouldn't be a good idea. When it is you would hve to rub it back to key it and maybe try Yacht Varnish. Very durable but can be a bit shiny for some tastes. Other than that I can't be very helpful but maybe someone else can.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

bodrighy is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

As said wait until the varnish is thoroughly dry, not just touch dry. Yacht varnish could work as could a clear car enamel. Sprayed on would be best to get a decent finish. Test first in a discrete place though as different finishes can react with one another.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook

Attachment 47004Here's the result of today's efforts. I decided to build in more protection for the wallpaper in the form of uprights and I'm gonna use some spray lacquer as a final coat. Still needs some lats across the lid and some kinda handle/asp and staple. But I'm quite pleased with my first attempt

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules1050 View Post
    Attachment 47004Here's the result of today's efforts. I decided to build in more protection for the wallpaper in the form of uprights and I'm gonna use some spray lacquer as a final coat. Still needs some lats across the lid and some kinda handle/asp and staple. But I'm quite pleased with my first attempt
    Jules this is coming up with an invalid link can you try again.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Thread Information