Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Thread: Advice Needed??

rag rug guy 47 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Question Advice Needed??

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi there,
    I have just discovered the addictive art form 'Bobbin Lace' making, and am looking for information and advice, on what equipment to buy and if anyone knows of any workshops or courses that are out there??

Many thanks

Nicolas

craftdancer2 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Welcome to the addictive world of bobbin lace making Nicolas

I would suggest you look at adult education classes (that's where I did a lot of my learning, albeit many years ago). Of course the financial cuts of latter years may have had an effect.

You could also contact The Lace Guild to see if they have any clubs/groups near you. There are many of these groups who have regular meetings, very helpful members, and often organise workshops with visiting teachers. In addition many of them arrange "Lace Days" where they may have speakers, sales stalls and time to work at various projects.

If you put "Lace Guild" into a search engine it will probably be the first result that shows.
    There is also a Nottinghamshire Bobbin Lace Society - search engine criteria: nbls.org.uk. If you contact these people you may find that they can point you towards local people who can supply many of the tools (pillows, bobbins and stands) at a lower price than commercial suppliers.

Torchon lace is the best type of lace to start with - slightly stronger threads and works mainly on 45 deg angles so easier to concentrate on learning the basic stitches. You can still make some lovely pieces with Torchon.

Be wary of anything that says "Nottingham Lace" - that's machine made not hand made

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
    Linda

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Something on my 'To Do' list and bought last year a kit to get me started, still in the box. 2018 does seem to be the year to learn new craft so may get round to it. You must post some pic's if you get into it Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
    Something on my 'To Do' list and bought last year a kit to get me started, still in the box. 2018 does seem to be the year to learn new craft so may get round to it. You must post some pic's if you get into it Nicolas
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your reply!!

Always great to hear from like minded people!!!

I will try if I remember!!!

Many thanks

Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by craftdancer2 View Post
    Welcome to the addictive world of bobbin lace making Nicolas

I would suggest you look at adult education classes (that's where I did a lot of my learning, albeit many years ago). Of course the financial cuts of latter years may have had an effect.

You could also contact The Lace Guild to see if they have any clubs/groups near you. There are many of these groups who have regular meetings, very helpful members, and often organise workshops with visiting teachers. In addition many of them arrange "Lace Days" where they may have speakers, sales stalls and time to work at various projects.

If you put "Lace Guild" into a search engine it will probably be the first result that shows.
    There is also a Nottinghamshire Bobbin Lace Society - search engine criteria: nbls.org.uk. If you contact these people you may find that they can point you towards local people who can supply many of the tools (pillows, bobbins and stands) at a lower price than commercial suppliers.

Torchon lace is the best type of lace to start with - slightly stronger threads and works mainly on 45 deg angles so easier to concentrate on learning the basic stitches. You can still make some lovely pieces with Torchon.

Be wary of anything that says "Nottingham Lace" - that's machine made not hand made

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
    Linda
    Hi there Linda,
    WOW thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much for your lovely long and very positive reply - you made my day!!!!

I will take a look at what you said and of course act on it too!!

Many thanks
    Nicolas

craftdancer2 is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Quote Originally Posted by rag rug guy 47 View Post
    Hi there Linda,
    WOW thanks soooooooooooooooooooooo much for your lovely long and very positive reply - you made my day!!!!

I will take a look at what you said and of course act on it too!!

Many thanks
    Nicolas

You are very welcome. Would like to see some pictures of your efforts though - it's amazing how rapidly you can improve once you get started.

And I hope it doesn't put you off, but I (and probably many others) can undo lace as fast as it can be made in order to correct mistakes LOL!

Linda

Thread Information