Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Half drop curtains- please help!

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hello, I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I have never made half drop patterned curtains before and I am getting confused with my measurements. I have read the methods to avoid fabric wastage and would like to try cutting the fabric this way. It is to make 4 curtains using 3 widths per pair of curtains. My question is do I cut off half a pattern repeat for every window?
    Do I first calculate the amount of fabric needed with the vertical pattern repeat (of 45.7) and then recalculate with taking away the fabric for the half drop?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I would trim the first curtain at the top to an easy part of the pattern, cut the length required then repeat for the others. If you cut this way the pattern should match for the repeats but check before you cut. Once the first piece is cut it is easier to match up by laying on top of the next length.

If you look at my blog post here it should help you to calculate your half drop pattern repeat. Let me know if you need any more help ~ Clive

https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.c...alf-drop-rule/
    Learning together for profit or pleasure
    I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Hi Clive, thank you so much for sending through your blog post. This is by far the clearest way that I have read about the 1/2 drop pattern repeat. I think I have a much better understanding about it now. I am making pencil pleat curtains for 4 fairly small windows, the curtain pole is 180cm with a finished curtain drop of 100cm (I would allow 30cm for the top and hem so 130cm of fabric in total per drop)
    The fabric which I have chosen has a width is 133.5cm with a vertical pattern repeat of 45.7cm, pattern match half drop.
    I am planning on making the curtains as per your example A with 3 widths of fabric per pair of curtains. So following your example I would cut away a one half pattern for the first two pairs of curtains (6 lengths cut). I am allowing 5 metres of fabric per pair of curtains so purchasing 20 metres for 4 pairs of curtains.

I'm sorry for asking all these questions and please don't worry if you don't have the time to look at it
    Thank you again for the blog explanation- so helpful!

Chloe

Morning Chloe,

Thank you for reading my blog post and I am pleased it was of use to you. I have read your last post and it all makes sense to me but let's go through it piece by piece.

So the job is one pair each for 4 windows and for each window you will use 3 widths of fabric one of which will be divided in half to be taken to the back edges of the other two full drops. You quite rightly have identified that you will need 12 drops of fabric.

So Chloe if the cut drop 1300 and is divided by 914 = 1.42 This opens up a new chapter for you in understanding half drop pattern repeats and does not fall within my lesson on half drop cuts in my blog. In this instance the half drop cut is 1.42 pattern repeats which is just under 1.5. This means that you only need to cut to the next half drop repeat which occurs at 1.5. If you make your first cut at 1.5 pattern repeats then your next cut will be at 3 pattern repeats, your next at 4.5 and your next at 6 and so on. Each time you make a cut you are alternating from the full drop to the half drop so the lengths you cut are automatically alternating themselves from full drop to half drop cut. this method is little written about and little known and falls outside the knowledge base of most curtain makers.

When you set out your curtains you will need 1 pattern repeat spare so that you can determine where, within the pattern, you want the head of the curtain to sit.

The calculation then goes like this. 1.5 pattern repeats per cut drop x 12 cuts = 18 repeats + one for setting out = 19 There is no need for an allowance for a half drop cut. 19 pattern repeats x 91.4cm = 17.4 metres R/U to 17.5
    In both cases above The fabric requirement is 17.5 metres which represents a saving of 2 1/2 metres of fabric against your earlier estimate.

If there is anything you do not understand here Chloe just ask and I will sort it out. Good luck with the work ~ Clive

Morning again Chloe,

If, in the example above I have used the wrong full and half drop measurements then come back to me and I will recalculate the measurements so that you have all the correct information ~ Clive

Dear Clive, thank you for all your help. You have used the correct full drop measurements and it has made it so much clearer for me. You have also saved me some money as I won't need to buy so much material!
    I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, I have made plain curtains before but not patterned so it was starting to confuse me.
    Thank you again!
    Chloe

It is a pleasure to help Chloe, Any other questions you have please do not hesitate to ask ~ Clive

Thread Information