Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

virmicelli is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default HELP NEEDED - borderless printing on A4

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help me out and give me some proper advice. Forgive me if I've gone totally the wrong way about this.

I'm trying to print four A6 size postcards on one A4. I've designed the postcards in photoshop sized (width) 105mm and (height) 148mm at 300dpi.

I then save the file to a PDF then open it up in preview on Mac. I set the paper size to A4 borderless (210 x 297) then select 4 copies per page. (See attachments)

However, when printing a test run, it is cut away (cropped) from the top and the bottom of the page. There should be a line at both the top and the bottom of the page as seen in the preview mode above before printing (see attachments)

Logically thinking, I want to save on paper by printing four A6 designs on one A4 and guillotining the design to make four equal A6 postcards with no paper waste and ideally no margins.

If anyone could help I'd massively appreciate it. Maybe there's an easier way to do this? I'm a total novice.

Thank you for your time.

Note - I'm using a Canon Pixma ix6850
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by virmicelli; 10-12-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Use pages to do the layout, then save as a template. There are already templates for this size in pages anyway which make it easier. Make sure when setting up your borders are at zero and the header and footer are unchecked. Print borderless and there should be no problems. I use this method all the time for printing and never have cut off but do use a HP printer, that however, should not make a difference. By saving as pdf you are automatically shortening the print format.

If you are designing in photoshop select all, copy then paste to pages. Or pdf as you have done then drag into pages expand as needed.

davesmeg is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Many printers do not have the function to print right up to the edge of an A4 sheet. Of course manufacturers will not tell you any of the models that do or don't support it.
    When they say "Borderless Printing" they are referring to photo papers that are smaller than A4.

Smeg.

When you say use pages to do the layout. is that a software? or is that an option on preview on mac or adobe reader? Also what format do you recommend saving the original design as if PDF shortens the design?

Finally, where are you copying and pasting the pages too? is that done in preview or adobe reader? I'm a little confused. If you could walk me through the process i would much appreicate it. Thanks you for your reply.

I wasn't aware of that. So when people design postcards and invitations, are their designs all printed onto photopaper rather than 300gsm card? Thank you for your reply.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Pages is the word processing software for Macs. If your design is in photoshop, you can group and select your design, post onto pages. If you check your templates for pages you will find postcards. Open then paste your photoshop selection to it, duplicating to fill the 4 blocks. Print from pages as borderless, then you should have everything centred and not loose any of the design area.

I think Dave is referring to sizes of paper. If you are printing invitations etc you normally print on card, the thickness that your printer can take.

I print cards and invitations this way. Preview is just that to look in advance at a layout, I would never print from there.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 11-12-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Thank you for your reply. I'll download pages for Mac an give it a try. When you make invitations do you make them the size of an A6 page in your design software then use pages to print them as you explained in the previous post? If I have any trouble, I'll be sure to ask for your help again .

Thank you so much Carole! I've finally managed to do it as you have described. The last few days have had me up the wall trying to figure out how to do that.

While I'm at it, would photo paper and regular card have different print qualities? Are there any settings that you know of, to get the best quality print from the printer? Once again, thank you so much for taking your time to reply.

Select photo paper for printing onto that and normal for the card. My printer seems to know what type of paper I am using so never have to select an option.

With my HP I can select best quality when the print screen comes up. You should be able to select feed and paper type plus move the bar to BQ

Attachment 46628

Have been using Mac's since they came into the UK in 1985, so if you need any more help just ask.

Thread Information