Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Overlocker / Serger Advice

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

My girlfriend is a puppet and costume maker and she has a Singer overlocker which I believe she bought new for 99 in Lidl. It has been acting up and often causes her more problems than it solves, particularly when it screws up half way through a big project she's working on.

So, her birthday is coming up and I know she won't buy one - rather struggle on with the one she has - so I'm thinking about just buying her one... It'll certainly be an improvement on the one she has. I would like your recommendations please on some decent, solid overlocker models which would be a good investment for her and her career. I have seen names mentioned on here - the Baby Lock Imagine 2 (pricey but AMAZING looking) and the Bernina 800 dl (which has a lack of reviews online, and seems similar to her existing one, with no Baby Lock bells and whistles, although undoubtedly a much better quality machine than her current).

Not having a background in sewing it would be invaluable to get some grounding from people 'in the know' - ie, your good selves
    Thank you very much indeed,

Tony

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

All my machines are Janome. The 9200D overlocker is excellent and I use a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
    All my machines are Janome. The 9200D overlocker is excellent and I use a lot.
    Thanks, another model to add to my shortlist! I notice however, on the John Lewis site, where they sell the product, that it describes it for use mostly on light and medium weight fabrics.... I have no idea of a frame of reference for that, however, I know that my GF tends to make weird-shaped, non-standard things out of odd fabrics. These things often require an overlap of quite a few layers of fabric, as seams meet etc... She has had issues with her existing machine just not cutting the fabric and sucking it inside the machine instead! (Edit: although I may as well add, the fabric she was overlocking at the time was two layers of cheap polycotten, so I think her existing machine has deeper issues than this).

I am, in that case, keen to explore something which can accurately claim to cut through reasonably thick fabric. I don't mind spending a little more. I would like to get her something that will last (even if she takes it back because it isn't right for her, I'd at least like to get something that's fits the bill, if possible).

Thanks for your reply,
    Tony
    SaveSave
    Last edited by maskedwarrior; 11-06-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I overlock curtain weight and have done vinyl two layers, plus cotton of 2 layers plus wadding with no problems. To not sew 2 layers of poly cotton sounds very off. I got my from JL as you get the longer guarantee

Thread Information