Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Workbenches for Curtain and Blind Making

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

The first and most important tool in the box for any curtain maker must be your work bench. This is the most basic and necessary element in your workroom.

If your bench is constructed square then you can work with a T-square and be accurate to a millimetre or so which is fine for the cutting of linings and interlinings and as an aid to squaring up your face fabric. The dimensions of a finished work table would be 1.4 to 1.5metres wide and a little longer than the longest curtain you expect to make. The table needs to be around 900mm finished height or more importantly it should come to around the centre of your tummy otherwise too much pressure is placed on the base of your back when you are bending over it.
    The example I have given below can be made from 75 or 100mm x 25mm boards simply screwed together to make two cube bases onto which three table top boards can be placed.

An alternative method of construction for a permanent table would be to us basically the same method of building frames but link them all up in a line and use the frames to add shelves to the bench to provide some storage for fabric rolls etc.

I have enclosed some pictures of the underside of my table so that the construction is clearly visible. The top of the table can be constructed from MDF or any other particle board. It will need strengthening around the edges because there is no tensility to particle boards and the centre section will sag badly after only a few weeks. Alternatively you can make the top with blockboard which is a tensile board and more durable than particle board.

.If you donít have the space to accommodate a large bench in a room set aside for curtain making then here is a sketch of the basic framework for a double gate leg folding table. The sketch is not dimensioned and not to scale. It shows in basic terms how a carpenter or joiner might construct the framework of the table and how the table might operate. .

The top can be made in 3 separate pieces, covered separately then hinged together in situ to form the drop leaves. The height of the finished table would need to be around 890mm (35 inches) roughly the same as a kitchen work top that you are comfortable working at.

The width of the finished table would need to be 1.4 metres to accommodate a full width of fabric. With the bench at a height of 890mm the two folding leaves could each be around 850mm. The centre section could be a large as one could accommodate in the room. If the centre section were to be 600mm and each of the leaves were to be 850mm the overall length of the table would be 2.300 metres. This length could be increased by enlarging the centre section from 600mm to 900mm, for instance, as long as the table could be accommodated in the room with the leaves folded down. . Finally your table will need to be padded and covered with lining material. One of the materials I have been working with recently is felt backed dining table protector. 1, you can lay one or, possibly two layers of table protector onto your bench first. These layers can be cut cleanly to the edge of the bench. Alternatively you can use alternate layers of your thickest interlining and lining material on the bench until the thickness will quite firmly hold a vertically standing pin pushed into the surface. 2, cover over this layer with a layer of domette. This layer can be brought down to the bottom edge of the bench top. 3, the final covering will need to be in curtain lining, being drawn down over the edges of the table top and stapled underneath. You can either use standard width lining for this and join pieces together as I have done or you can buy double width lining the length of your bench so you donít have any joins in it. I donít think it makes any difference really if there are a few joins in it, it has never bothered me.

If you're a guest and you can't see the pictures in this post why not join the forum, Its very easy and so quick to join.

You can also get more information if you check out my blog at the bottom of the page. Thanks for viewing ~ Clive

Last edited by Classical Genesis; 24-05-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    Learning together for profit or pleasure
    I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Thread Information