Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Back to the Beginning

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

My last post in this forum was in 2013 when I said that I was planning my retirement in 2015, Well, that has just happened, 2 years later than expected.

I now have more time to look back over the last 10 years during which time I have taught Classic Curtain Making to a huge range of people who have demonstrated many differing levels of skill and aptitude.

I am disappointed to see that this particular curtain making forum is visited little now and I would love to see more interest in the classics so I am going to try to generate a little interest by starting at the beginning and looking at what classic curtain making entails, where it started and its decline since the 1960s.

I am afraid that I am not going to talk much about pencil pleat curtains made with tape because I wouldn’t know how to or where to start but I am more than happy to reply to any questions which relate to the craft work which I both taught for a large slice of my life. I would like to start at the beginning with the shape of the curtain and the various elements which it is comprised of.

Firstly in Fig 1 there is a description of the elements which the head of the curtain consists of. You will see that there are pleats and spaces. Where the curtains join there is a centre overlap and at each side there is a turning or hem and at the right hand side a return to the wall, which is sometimes used.

Here in Fig 2 are the pleats. Yow will see 3 types of pleat, a double pleat, a triple pleat and a goblet pleat. These are the three main pleats which are used in classic curtain making. There are some more modern ones but I will stick with the classics for the time being.

Below in Fig 3 you will find depictions of the three pleats in order, Double, Triple and Goblet

When I come back to this thread a little later I
    would like to talk about the origins of curtain making and how we set out designing them.

To be continued

If you're a guest and you can't see some of this post why not join the forum, Its very easy and so quick to join.

You can also get more information if you check out my blog at the bottom of the page. Thanks for viewing ~ Clive

Last edited by Classical Genesis; 23-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Learning together for profit or pleasure
    I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Very clear images, not done curtain making for many years as find lifting heavy fabrics so hard now but nothing better than beautiful drapes

You're very kind to write Caroline
    Learning together for profit or pleasure
    I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

MornieG Jewellery is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

It's like a lot of traditional ways of doing things these days they fall out of favour for the quicker and easier versions like tab top and those horrid metal rings around the holes for poles.

Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow Clive. Love the passion you have for your craft.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Thread Information