Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Where to start with pyrography?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi all

I first tried pyrography a few weeks ago at the Hobbycrafts NEC show, and loved it! I'd really like to have a go at doing this on my own for making small gifts, decorations etc. The problem is equipment. The machine I tried at the show used a wire tip and had a temperature adjustment - I assume this was a professional level machine and wouldn't be available to buy/would be too expensive.

I bought Hobbycraft's small pyrography pen (the 10 one), but found it too difficult to use, it didn't seem to get hot enough and hardly got hot at all when using the screw on tips. Maybe this was just me being too inexperienced, or maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for.

Either way, I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in a good direction! I don't mind paying a bit for a tool, but it would have to be affordable as I don't have too much to spare right now. Any recommendations for or against any tools or brands, would be really fantastic.

Thanks!

glenwood is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

I use and would recommend a Peter Childs machine, http://www.bobneillpyrography.co.uk/learn.htm It is available from other suppliers as well.

bodrighy is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Sorry but the one that you bought is not worth the money and will frustrate the heck out of you. The Peter Childs machine is a good one, there are better but inevitably more expensive. Get a couple of different grades wire and practice making your own nibs and, if you want to continue seriously you can buy spe******ed ones but as a start practice with the wire.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Have to agree with the other replies that you need a wire nib pyro pen not a solid one and Peter Childs is a good make to start with. You will have to spend around 100, but do look around for offers. You can get Nickel Chrome wire of varying thicknesses to make your own nibs from

http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/nc_bare.html

and get a good basic book like........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Burn-...y+Simon+Easton

Good luck with your new hobby

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Thanks for the replies! I think that the Peter Childs machine is the one I used at the fair - and actually I think it was Bob Neill who was demonstrating!

It definitely seems like wire nib is the way to go. I did find the below machine on Amazon. I understand it probably isn't as good as the Peter Childs one dueto the price point, but it looks like the same design/structure. It's also more in my price range, sadly.

What do you think?
    amazon.co.uk/ParaCity-Pyrography-Machine-Portable-Professional/dp/B06XHBVQSL

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Wire nib is definitely the way to go. Have had a look at the one you mention and a couple of others on Amazon that are similar. As a starter pen at that price it may be worth a go. I did read all the information they give about usage and there are a lot of proviso's regarding the use of the machine at full temperature, (badly translated from probably chinese LOL) so you should be aware of that. As they don't recommend you use it at full temperature it may not actually do the job on some woods at 25 watts. The Peter Childs is 30 watts and sometimes I could do with extra power using that one. Peter Childs also has 5 year guarentee as opposed to 12 months on the one you are looking at.

If you are really testing the water maybe one of the Amazon ones would be ok to try then upgrade if you really love it. Amazon have another one a few 's more but higher wattage but I couldn't say whether it was better or not.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eleoption-C...4YMQ2QEKDVDDHM

Good luck with your new hobby look forward to seeing some of your work in the future.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Thread Information