Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

darceyg is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Default Hello, looking for lots of info re starting out with ceramics/pottery?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi everyone, been doing crafts for a few years now and this seasons wooden signs just didn't go well at all! 😔 I live in a small town so most people have been and seen and bought. I need a change, a BIG change and looking around I think I could make little ceramic fish, boats, yachts as they would compliment the area.

But just don't know where to start?

Cant afford a huge outlay.....but willing to give it a shot?

Help and advice gratefully received and welcome regarding kiln, clays, and glazes?

many thanks X

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Not sure where you live but you would need a kiln or have access to one at maybe a ceramic studio. If you have never done before it may be worth looking for a ceramics course. You have to learn about greenware, bisque, glazing what the glazes and colours do and how they react. Different firing temperatures for bisque, glazes etc.Ceramics or pottery is not cheap even with a small kiln. I was a Gare tutor many moons ago and it is hard work.

Thank you for replying. I live in the sticks in West coast Scotland and there are very few opportunities in fact I'd say it's rare. I have spoken to the Art dept in school and he was kinda pointing the health and safety issues and cost so let's say he put me off!!! Wondered about trying air dry clay? Just not sure how the finish would be? I did ceramics many years ago and that folded with the closure of the campus. I'm just trying to do some little fish, boats 3-4 inches?

You might be able to find a kiln on eBay a bit cheaper but pottery as a whole is not a cheap craft. I was lucky enough to be able to buy new equipment - the kiln cost £1600 and the wheel over £2000. But in addition to that, you need buckets, glazes, shelving, a worktable, tools and a room to dedicate to it as it needs room. I've never used air dry clay so can't advise you on that. Have you thought about using Fimo? That can be fired in an oven.

Thank you, willing to try 😀

If you want to make small things like small ceramic fish, small boats etc, even with a small kiln you can be happy. For sure you can find a used cheap one kiln as the production of your ceramics is not too big for this size of the kiln.
    Every Friday George Sifounios making a pottery throwing instructional youtube pottery video from http://sifoutvpottery.com. We Pottery throwing ceramics on potter's wheel, and make Pottery making videos for Beginners. Our Passion and love is Pottery throwing and clay art for 25 years now.

Subscribe to inform first about new videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/sifoynio...confirmation=1

simonB is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Form the sounds if it, you are looking to hand build, not throw on a wheel, so that's 1 cost less.
    As for kilns, these days it seems to 'must' have a shiney computer controlled idiot proof kiln starting at around £1,000.
    Having said that, I have 2 kilns 'from the arc' - neither with controllers, nor safety features (do not open the kiln when plugged in, even if not yet hot !)
    These cost about £150 @ on ebay. One is about 6"x6"x9" , the other maybe a cubit foot.
    I guess the difference is in the swap of time/convenience with an equal amount of problem solving and effort.
    So costs don't have to be that high.

I'd think that for you, the main issue is 'knowledge'.
    There's so much you can get from books and youtube, but pottery is a fine mix of art, science, and experience.
    Have you looked up to find out who and where your nearest other potter is ?
    Even if there is someone you can meet up with once in a long while .... it would really help save hours, weeks, months of trying to resolve your latest unexpected 'problem.

I think what I'm trying to say is ... do it if you have a love for it.
    But if you're after getting a cash flow up and running any time soon - it might not be worth the effort.

Thread Information