Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default ATA Card Reader Error - Janome 300e

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

After thinking about it, debating it, thinking about it some more, I took the plunge (and a risk) and bought a second hand Janome Craft Master 300E. I am relieved to say that it seems to work perfectly ..... almost. Some initial tests, using the few (built in) embroidery patterns, have come out remarkably well. However ....

When I insert the CF card > ATA reader > into the machine, a card reading error appears, suggesting that there is a "FAT" formatting error and a message appears, saying that the card cannot be read. We have checked the card and ATA adapter (local computer shop) and both CF cards we have, plus the two ATA adapters we have (one of which is brand new) are testing out perfectly. The thing is, compact flash cards are an old technology and I was wondering if they need to be formatted to an older standard, like 16 bit, etc. It's just a thought I had - our modern computers may be 'too modern' for the CF cards.

My husband understands a little about FATs and he has re-formatted the card (64 bit). No joy! We have used the Customizer software correctly, formatted designs to the JEF format and these have been exported to the (as far as we know) "correct" location on the CF card - in the embf5 folder. Still, the 300E is unable to recognise the card.

Trying to get the machine itself to format the CF is impossible since it can't see it!

We are completely in the dark and the instruction manual doesn't cover the issues we have experienced.

After searching through various forums, we are aware that this has been a problem for a number of different models of Janome machines, but nobody seems to have the solution. Is it a formatting issue?

Hopefully somebody knows the solution.

Thanks.

Jane.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I use a USB stick, format on the machine, plug into the Mac, drop the design in the embf. folder, then the emb folder and works. If you have formatted the the card there will be two folders one inside the other, putting in the embf. one is not far enough. Click on the embroidery file and it should open to show an emb. folder, this is where the design needs to be.

usb sticks are easier to use than the cards

Thanks for your reply, Caroline.

The card used by the 300E is one of the older CF types (Compact Flash) and this is inserted into an ATA (PCMCIA) card, which is then inserted into the 300E.

The problem is that the 300E won't even *see* the card, so it cannot format it. I enter the card. The initial message is:

"ATA PC card memory error.
    FAT error in the card.
    Do you want to format the card?"

I press "YES" and get this message.

"The card cannot be used."

Interesting thing is, I just tried this with the ATA card reader in the machine slot, but without a CF card in it, and I get the same messages. I do hope the machine's card reader isn't damaged.

I have formatted both CF cards (a 4 MB and a 16 MB) on my computer, then have ensured that the correct embf5 folder is present, with the design (a .JEF file) in that folder. The 300E still won't see the card and offers to format it again.

We have spoken to our local Janome dealer/repair shop (local = 45 miles away) and they say that it's highly unlikely to be a fault of the 300E's internal card reading mechanism, but we may take this to them for investigation in the coming week. Logically, the problem seems to be with the cards themselves. That is, according to the 300E's error messages. We wondered if our Windows 7 machines (32 bit and 64 bit) were the problem, formatting the cards to a newer standard than the 300E can accept, then subsequently unreadable due to the newer (higher bitrate) formatting being unrecognised by the 300E.

Hope I explained that correctly.

Jane.

MustardS is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Have you contacted Janome directly? (You probably have, but I've nothing else...)

http://janome.com/en/contact-us/

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

It could be the new software, have you checked if the software is up to date on the machine? I used to have a problem with the 350E with reading USB sticks, just reset the machine to factory settings and started again and that cleared the glitch. I would go back to the seller as they need to check all this out for you

Ah. I just sent my message and it disappeared.

Thanks Mustard and Carolee.

The software seems to be fine, as does the machine, generally. It's just the ATA reader or CF cards.

We have been in contact with the seller and with Janome. We decided to take the machine to the service centre at Lincoln and get it checked out. I'm sure it's got something to do with formatting and not the machine. Time will tell. The machine is going to be away for a week or two. Bad timing as there is a surge in repairs just before Christmas, plus we will be away for a short time.

I will report back when I know more, but I have a feeling this is simply something to do with my lack of understanding of how the machine works.

Thanks.

Jane.

Have you posted on the Janome forums as found the answer to my usb problem on there.

I did, actually.

I will be sure to post back if we get any results. It won't be for a week or two, however.

Thanks.

Jane.

Problem (not) solved!

The service centre reported internal damage to the card reader. I have a written report from them detailing this and will be returning the 300E to the seller, who has agreed to give a full refund.

On the plus side, I found a bargain while at the service centre in a Janome 350E and decided to buy one.

Now I just need to decide which is the best software for my needs. I will post in a separate thread about this.

Thank you again for your help.

Jane.

Edit: I should add that I already have the Customizer 10000+ software. Maybe this will do everything I need. (Still learning!)
    Last edited by Jane-Skegness; 10-12-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Thread Information