Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Which embroidery machine?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I have been wondering which embroidery machine would best suit my needs.

I have been looking at Pfaff machines and find the prices way too much for me as a beginner.

I need to test the water and so don't want to spend a lot of money to begin with. Are Brother reliable?

My main intention is to create designs myself and I don't want to be spending more money on expensive software if I can help it. Wouldn't the 'standard' software which comes with the machines be OK for this? Or do personalised designs require something more spe******t?

I know this is a very general question and there won't be any simple answers, but I am hoping there might be a decent and reliable 'one size fits all' kind of machine out there.

Thanks.

Jane.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

To create your own designs you will need software by the machine company this can vary but normally approx 500 +. The machines vary in price I have a Janome 500E which is about 1500, this would mean an outlay of 2000. Not to mention the thread that you go through. I use a stand alone embroidery machine and have 2 separate normal sewing machines, rather than an all in one.

It may be better at the start to get someone to convert your designs for you to your machine's prefix code rather than pay for software. If just using fonts then yes all machines come with a selection and more can be bought online.

Not all machines suit everyone and I would not buy a Brother as at shows have never felt they were as good. Plus have never liked the fact that they had Disney designs and used to sell the machines that you could use the designs to sell, as we all know this is a no go area with Disney. You would be better going to a show and testing out the machines to see what suits you.

Hello and thank you Caroline.

Yes, we are aware of the Disney Issue. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought Disney released a few images for the public to use in whatever way they wanted? I suppose it's all strictly for personal use and not for sale. I have a Cricut Explore and have bought a cartridge with Disney characters. The lady at Cricut in America said you *could* sell your own designs which included the supplied Disney characters, but I am still unsure about that.

Thanks for the info re. the software. So the basic software supplied with machines is not quite up to the job? That's a shame. It seems there is a much bigger outlay for all this than I had thought. I had a budget of 500 - 700, but didn't expect to have to buy additional software. Aren't there any simple software conversion utilities? i.e. as in the kind which would convert a png to a jpg? Something which would convert a jpg to the format needed by the machine?

We have a number of small craft shops online and we were considering selling personalised embroidered designs. I'm craft mad lately so this was not just a business venture. I was really looking forward to buying this for myself too, but after studying the facts and figures again it seems everybody and their dog is now doing embroidery. Prices have tumbled away as a result as you would expect. Amazing how things have changed so quickly. So this little project is probably going to be put on hold for the time being.

Thank you again Caroline. Sorry - so many questions.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Just steer clear of Disney and know that some sellers have sold saying you can use but as convo's on Etsy and the like not worth it as they go after any one and have the money to do it.

The software you get with the machine is very limiting there are others out there such as Embird the designs for the Janome have to be in Jef or Jef+ format, each machine is different they do not use png or jpeg. New license for Embird basic is $164 then you have plug ins. Okay if you use windows which I do not. I can use on my Mac if I load Parallels, as a Mac is very secure would never put windows software on it.

A lot of people out there do embroidery as you said. I am one of them but do take mine to other limits and my prices are still as they should be. The designs I use can take from 1 hour upwards to stitch out, so no way will I undercharge.

Thank you very again Caroline. This is really helpful.

We never lower our prices to match those of other companies. This certainly hasn't done us any harm - quite the opposite in fact. I could tell you a few stories.

Thank you for the information about the file formats. I've been looking into this and I have found some conversion software which, in turn, has taken me to other useful pages, so the overall picture is becoming clearer.

Regards.

Jane.

Thread Information