Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

ChelleTay is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Laser Engraving & Cutting Machines

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi I am looking to purchase my first CO2 laser engraving/cutting machine. I am currently doing lots of research on them. Some are advising me not to touch Chinese machines. But currently these are the most affordable to me. I am really impressed by the sound of an Epilog but out of my price range. Does anyone know of a company that does affordable machines with after care support. Many Thanks 😊

Hi,

Can you let me know what you mean by affordable as a rough price range that you are willing to spend? And what you're planning to laser cut/ engrave - what kind of products? I do laser cutting and engraving myself and using machine called Spirit GLS which is just perfect for what I do but it all really depends on what you are planning to use it for

Thank you, I intend to engrave & cut wood shapes using different woods such as pine, mdf, ply etc. I am a small business so ideally looking to spend no more than 3000 as not VAT registered. I have a heated insulated workshop that it could go in too I was initially thinking of a desktop one but flexible on that. So any help would be grat3fully received, as didn't want to buy off ebay & end up with not technical support. Which software is yours compatible with?

Many Thanks
    Michelle

Michelle,

I am afraid I will not be able to help much as my machine is a huge one and it was quite an investment too so I did not research smaller once. Sorry What I can say is if you can afford please buy the one that you can have technical support with. Once I started using machine, it was all about learning and I messed it up a couple of times so that technical support was really useful. Also as they are just machines, they go crazy sometimes. Mine stopped working just like that and I needed them to come over and have a look.
    The machine I am using works with Corel but to be honest it is the worst software i have ever worked with. It's not user friendly at all. So I tend to work with Rhino and Illustrator and then do the last bits in Corel but that's it.
    If you have any more questions, just let me know! I am happy to help if I only can

Thank you that's great I really appreciate the advice you have given me. Not a decision to take lightly so will continue with research & perhaps book some demos on some 😊 Many Thanks

Michelle...

I researched this in to the wee small hours before making a decision. I narrowed it down to two options (both of which are cheaper than others because you have to do a certain amount of construction yourself). Shapeoko or X-Carve.

There are quite a few comparison videos between the two on youtube.

Hope this helps
    Chief Sawdust Maker
    The Wooden Chopping Board Company
    https://woodenchoppingboards.co.uk

Thread Information