Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Thanks everyone, you have made me feel a lot better, I was beginning to feel that I shouldn't have been so upset about it, and was being over sensitive, but no you are right it wasn't kind and to be honest she needn't have told me, she could have always made something up, the problem is she paints and draws and is quite talented (she has sold quite a few watercolours), so I guess she thinks my efforts aren't up to scratch, however I just don't get why she would value a shop bought card more, oh well live and learn I'll not waste any more time making one for her in future!
    Maybe she is jealous of your talents. Just a thought.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

MustardS is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

The fact that she is a crafter herself makes the crime even more heinous..

craftdancer is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Thanks everyone, you have made me feel a lot better, I was beginning to feel that I shouldn't have been so upset about it, and was being over sensitive, but no you are right it wasn't kind and to be honest she needn't have told me, she could have always made something up, the problem is she paints and draws and is quite talented (she has sold quite a few watercolours), so I guess she thinks my efforts aren't up to scratch, however I just don't get why she would value a shop bought card more, oh well live and learn I'll not waste any more time making one for her in future!
    Just because she is talented artistically it is no excuse to treat others' efforts the way yours were treated. And with skills in that area she should be able to distinguish between a unique, made with love item and a mass produced overseas, probably never touched by human hand, item.

Linda

indri is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I am very careful whk I hand craft for. I know many peolle who dkn't see the point in hand crafting whe you could just go out and buy something from the shops. I get this a lot when knitting in the tea room on my lunch break at work, but for someone who is artistic already to just use your card as a coaster for your dad seems a little mean.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Sharon - you're the only person who you need to believe in yourself. All that matters is that you enjoy what you do. I know sounds tough - at the end of the day it is the Mum. And my mum was not particularly happy when I quit my well-paid job to do gifts and decorations and never truly appreciated it. But there are people that will. Even if it is strangers rather than friends and family. Plus most importantly, if you enjoy what you do, then just do it for yourself and most likely appreciation will come the moment you least expect it! Definite NO to giving up!

I think this days a lot of people don't appreciate hand-made goods anymore. But keep making them honey you'll see that somebody would appreciate it and don't worry I'm sure your mom keeps a lot of stuff that you have make in the past for her.

Sharon, please don't give and believe in yourself! You need to get pleasure from your work, and that's all that you need.

Billieanne is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Sharon, I make cards as gifts for people. I enjoy making them. It's a gift and they can do whatever they wish with the card, it's theirs. I never ask about or look for gifts I give people. Maybe everything is made into a coaster or put in the dust bin. My sister is always asking "did you like it", "was it the right color/size", "did you really like it" and it's better to say you love it than to say you didn't like it. She'll drive me crazy with more questions about what's wrong. She does however display my cards with embossed metal inserts year round.
    I'd be more bothered that your mother saw fit to tell you what she did with the card. Has she always been like that? I know it's your mother but thought that was mean.

Quote Originally Posted by the card shark View Post
    I wouldn't even bother doing that.
    Newbie here, but I'm with Carol on this one. If people are disrespectful to me then they get short shrift treatment. Family included. Just because we are related doesn't mean they can act without consequence.

Anyway, chin up and keep on keeping on. Don't let her break you down.
    Brutally Honest Cards
    Send them the truth - http://www.iamstevestewart.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information