Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

AnnieAnna is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Default Selling food in private grounds

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Does anybody know what rules and regs apply to having a stall at a fair in the grounds of a museum, in London, selling food not made by me but by a proper certificated person?
    So far I've ticked the following boxes: registered as a sole trader, do my tax returns on time every year, have public and product insurance. Do I need a HACCP certificate level 1 or 2?
    I don't seem to fit any of the things I can find online. I'll be storing the wrapped food in my kitchen for a day so do I need to be registered as a food prep premises? It's not on a public street so I assume I don't need a street trader's licence. It's not a proper market it's more of a spectacle where I've been asked to sell biscuits.

A second question is - what are the rules and regs about taking things out of their packets and selling them as tasters?

And third ditto - but selling them loose one by one?

craftdancer is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Not absolutely sure on this one, but if the food is wrapped and correctly (legally) labelled at the site of manufacture, then you don't need food preparation certification. If is being sold in said wrapping then I believe you don't need any food hygiene certification. However, if you were to be opening large packs and dividing into smaller portions for sale then you would need some level of certification (can be done on-line and is a doddle - ie common sense).

Have no idea about rules and regs covering tasters.

The people to advise on this are the local Council Environmental Health Food Safety People. Give them a call - ours are very helpful and it is very obvious that they are there to help and not to be jobsworths and spoil things for people.

HTH and good luck
    Linda

Thanks Linda. Of course all this is happening while I was camping, over the bank holiday and then I'm off for 2 weeks in Spain I'm going to have to take my laptop, aren't I?

If you're going to be handling the food (i.e. taking them out of the packets) and you're going to be doing this on more than one day / occasion then you should contact your local Environmental Health department to become 'registered' with them.

However, if it's a one off then the law is a bit sketchy, especially if it's a fundraising event.

Your biscuit maker should check with their Env Health dept. to ensure that they are registered to sell the biscuits via a third party in this way, especially if they are a home baker. Much will depend on what ingredients are in the biscuits. My local EH are particularly hot on food items containing egg. In my case, as a home baker, I'm not allowed to sell my royal icing cake decorations third party - my customers need to purchase directly from me.

Assuming the above is all ok, you'll need relevant signage with regards to the ingredients and allergens in the biscuits. This information is a legal requirement and the biscuit packets should be labelled accordingly anyway.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by the card shark; 30-08-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I agree with Carol, I would get your seller to check and that her insurance covers third party selling as well. It is a minefield when dealing with food but better safe than sorry.

The maker is above board. She sells to several shops in the area as well as at our local market.
    Signage - I'll make sure that is prominent.
    The one off thing is interesting. As is the charity aspect. Hopefully offices should be manned today and I'll be able to talk it through with someone official today.
    Tossing and turning all night I did think that if all sales had to be packaged I could break open some boxes and use those biscuits, gingerbread etc to make a display at the front of the stall that stays there untouched...and just sell in packets....but I know from experience it won't be as much fun in an historical experience way.

Thanks everyone. It's much simpler than I thought. For a one off I just have to be sensible and generally hygienic eg if some one sneezes over a plate of biscuits withdraw them from sale.
    Biscuits are low risk viz a viz contamination, spoiling etc.
    If I decide to do a fair every month, then I'd need to be registered as a food seller.
    Now I just have to work out quantities...........

craftdancer is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieAnna View Post
    Thanks everyone. It's much simpler than I thought. For a one off I just have to be sensible and generally hygienic eg if some one sneezes over a plate of biscuits withdraw them from sale.
    Biscuits are low risk viz a viz contamination, spoiling etc.
    If I decide to do a fair every month, then I'd need to be registered as a food seller.
    Now I just have to work out quantities...........
    It is surprising how often thinking about things makes you think it is much more complicated than it is in reality. Glad you've got things clarified and hope all goes well for you. Interested to know what sort of biscuits you'll be selling - are they for re-enactment and if so what period of history?

Just re-read your first post and realised this "It's not a proper market it's more of a spectacle where I've been asked to sell biscuits." hasn't been covered in any replies as we were concentrating on the food aspect.

Legally a market is 5 or more stalls selling something (and that includes services etc not just tangible items). Certainly, in this area, a market consent would be required from the local council if the site does not have permanent selling status. However: 1) not all councils seem to be applying this regulation and 2) it would be the organiser's responsibility to sort out whether or not consent is required and to obtain it. Nothing to do with stallholders, so unless you are part of the organisation team you can forget about that.

Linda

Having jumped through the EU regs for selling toys I was having sleepless nights about selling food.
    The Market/Fair/Celebration fund raising thing has been going for several years. There are 5 stalls. My insurance covers that and actually includes the cafe and a gift shop as another two outlets so people can happily (or unhappily) drop out. It's on museum property, not the street. All my boxes are ticked apart from the Bartholomew babes and the train. My train line is in meltdown at the moment...but I can drive in with a car if I have to. I'm just about to be introduced to a potential Bartholomew babe maker.
    So the food is really interesting.
    Originally I was going to do it with my DIL who is a cook/caterer with a masters in the History of Food, Elizabethan costume and experience in a genuine Tudor kitchen...but she's cooking up a feast for some architects in the skittle alley, Royal Naval Palace, Greenwich that day so I went with plan B. I'm in Horsham and it had a big gingerbread industry. The museum collaborated with a baker. You can read all about it here. http://www.horshamgingerbread.co.uk/ I am cheating a bit as she used Regency recipes but they are so close to the Tudor ones no one is going to be able to tell.
    The Bartholomew babes are interesting. They were sold at Bartholomew Fair. We assume they were the precursors of gingerbread men. I'd like mine to be made to look like swaddling babes

Thread Information