• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bubblegaff
    Junior crafter
    • Aug 2016

Do people care if its recycled or not ?

This might seem a simple question but it’s one that’s been bugging me for a while. I’m not a save the planet hippy kind of person, when I think of recycling I think of turning stuff I’d normally throw in the bin into something usable again. For me it’s more about saving money, and yes if something is useful and people want to buy them, making a bit of money is part of it as well. But I don’t do it full-time this is more of a hobby, I like to look at things and create something from bits and bats. It’s from years of watching blue Peter and being poor that makes me like this lol
    Anyway back to the point. After doing a couple of craft fairs and getting some nice feedback, I started to realise after a while that people were not registering the fact that what I had made was in fact recycled.
    Most people said “oh that’s nice”, but when I mentioned the fact that it was recycled almost all said “really I hadn’t realised”. This was even with the fact that I had a banner stating, “recycling with imagination”, behind me.
    Do people actually care about recycling, or is it just a very small minority that have a quite large voice?
    Last edited by Bubblegaff; 20-08-2016, 04:38 PM.
    BubbleGaff

Bubblewrap and Gaffer tape fun
  • silvermaid
    Mega Crafter
    • Aug 2007

Going by the opinions of some of my friends and family, some people would be happy to know that you were making stuff from recycled materials and 'saving the planet' but others would rather buy 'new' and think that recycling is like using old and worn out stuff ( and therefore free to obtain) to make money out of them. Rather than recycling, I think the latest word is upcycling which to some people has a more modern or trendy ring to it.

Melanie

Comment

• __cherry__
      Junior crafter
      • Sep 2016

I definitely agree with Melanie! You'll find all kind of people now so it is hard to say.

Comment

• indri
        Super Moderator
        Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
        • Jan 2007

People have a habit of not reading, so them not having read your banner, however large, doesn't surprise me. I am more the sort of person who wants something I like, and I don't mind if its recycled or not, it is the end product that is important. It is possible upcycling is a better word, and puts different thoughts in their mind.
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

• EllieHardman
          Moderate crafter
          • Jan 2017

I would say the majority don't care whether the material is recycled or not, or at least it isn't a clinching point for them. But there is a huge market for recycled products, and for some it definitely is a clincher!
          If it isn't a main selling point or aspect of your brand then the recycled product angle is almost useless, you're either full-on recycled and that is everything or I wouldn't focus on it at all.

Comment

• michelle_ellen
            Moderate crafter
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by indri View Post
            People have a habit of not reading, so them not having read your banner, however large, doesn't surprise me. I am more the sort of person who wants something I like, and I don't mind if its recycled or not, it is the end product that is important. It is possible upcycling is a better word, and puts different thoughts in their mind.

I think upcycling is a better word as it's quite a trend at the moment. In my world, everyone who sees the word upcycled though, expects it to be cheaper which, isn't always the case when actually upcycling items.

+

Comment

• halinh101091@gmail.com
              Junior crafter
              • Mar 2018

I tried the the box one where she put it over her head and my phone fell i hit me in the face lolololol

Comment

• nguyenly
                Banned
                Moderate crafter
                • Jun 2018

what are you doing?

Comment

Working...
                X