Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I think it depends on the mood/purpose of the shop. If you are in a hurry or don't have time to go shopping, but know exactly what you want, online shopping during your commute to work usually works best. However if you feel like having an outing of not sure what to get, then yes popping into the shop for an experience would be my preference.

Online shopping has exploded because of the convenience it brings; people can browse around without having to walk into several shops, and have access to both national and international good all from the comfort of their sofa.

[MOD EDIT] Please read the forum rules regarding advertising.
    We do not allow advertising, however if you do wish to place an ad then our administrator can furnish you with the appropriate rates for this. Thank you.

Last edited by 3dDave; 06-08-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smileys Keyrings View Post
    I think it depends on the mood/purpose of the shop. If you are in a hurry or don't have time to go shopping, but know exactly what you want, online shopping during your commute to work usually works best. However if you feel like having an outing of not sure what to get, then yes popping into the shop for an experience would be my preference.

Online shopping has exploded because of the convenience it brings; people can browse around without having to walk into several shops, and have access to both national and international good all from the comfort of their sofa.

By the way, if anyone is looking for 2000 beads for an art and craft project, go to ebay and type in "2000PCS B-Z ALPHABET LETTER ACRYLIC BEADS" I promise you wont regret it.

Do I see someone blatently advertising here?

Beadworks in central London went into receivership in August and are apparently looking for buyers. Judging by looking at other reports Creative Beadcraft look to be struggling and of course the other London Bead Shop was up for sale last year, once asumes no takers. I don't think this is just beads though, I think we can wave buy buy to most of our high street shop with business rates going up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Allen View Post
    Oh no! Can't believe three of my favourite bead shops have closed. The only reason I went to London or Brighton was to visit them. Shan't bother now.
    I agree, we are looking at areas to move to ourselves and originally I said I HAD to have a train line into central London, but I said to himself a fortnight ago that it's not that important to me anymore. Most of my old haunts, Bead Aura, London Bead Shop etc. are gone now, even the south bank is not as it was and I no longer care to go there really... am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ejralph View Post
    that is sad news.

As for high streets in general - they are doomed by and large. Councils are greedily raising rates and doing away with car parking in towns, landlords are wanting more and more rent. It is a wonder how any high street shop can survive at all
    I agree with this also, I thought the new budget might unveil a lifeline for them, but it simply decreases the pace at which business rates will increase and of course, the high streets cannot compete with online markets.

I also agree with you, the online market is becoming quite savage also as more and more of the suppliers are forced online only, but then I think, once the post office has died a death the price of sending parcels through other distributors will go up and up. For my part I agree with the other thread on here "Opening a Bead Shop ... are we mad" in that the high street (or at least the side streets of it) will become a place for leisure time activity and, perhaps, there is a place for arts and crafts, but particularly for our sake ... BEAD SHOPS and lots of them, of all different types and sizes. Long live the bead shop... if it can

Quote Originally Posted by Christa View Post
    I wish our high streets could see a revival...instead we have cheap shops and empty units...even the new purpose built smaller retail units are standing empty two years after build completion which is such a shame. Prices are killing off small start ups round here. Rents and rates are totally ridiculous and red routes and general lack of parking do not help one bit.

Online shopping is fine for certain things but you really can't beat the hands on shopping experience.
    It's true the empty shops seem to sit vacant not for months, but years now.

Some of them in Enfield are now being converted into houses. Cycle lanes in Enfield are likely to put the nail in the coffin of the small businesses there, between that and the red routes traffic is likely to come to a stand still and, I am afraid to say, people are unlikely to go there to shop anymore. Once the parking rates went up in the multistorey car park and the council didn't give its workers free parking, they began to park in the side streets further up, which meant that no one could park up and drop into the local shops, it was a problem for lots of the shops there. It was yet another reason we didn't renew the lease on the shop, just too many odds stacked against it at that location.

But, is it really a community if it doesn't have a set of local shops? Could it be that groups like the Brownies and Knit/Stitch groups can fill that gap alone???

Creative Beadcraft which closed on 8th December do say that they are still operating online.

I was reading an article this evening which stated " TOYS 'R' US is closing 26 UK stores, with 800 jobs at risk, the high street giant has revealed." But I feel that it was never a 'high street store' it was always an out-of-centre warehouse mass selling centre which put most of the high street toy stores out of business. I do wonder if most people, having gone to their high street and been unable to choose a toy, chose to go online instead of driving to an out-of-centre store. There would be a little poetic justice in that. Although I still hope they can sort something out so that those currently employed in those stores keep their job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information