Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Muppet Rat is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Trying to find the right scissors

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I've seen pic 1 on ebay and I'm wondering your opinions on them. I've read on here that the right scissors are important, so don't want to waste money. It's proving difficult to find some other than pic 2 at hobbycraft (and aren't kiddie style or need an overdraft!).
    If you could either point me at some links, or throw some brand names at me, I'd be much appreciative.

1) $_57.jpg
    2) 573458_1000_1_800.jpg

To be honest I just bought a decent pair of scissors in the supermarket - but I only use them for my papercrafting, they don't have to be expensive - oh and I use small nail scissors for fiddly cuts (and they were from a supermarket too)

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

What are your trying o cut? Fabric, paper? For fabric I use Janomes scissors as find them he best, not cheap. For paper craft got some form Hobbycraft

craftdancer is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

It depends what material you want to cut and what sort of cut you want. The pictures you posted look to me like snippers (my term) which would be used for embroidery/dressmaking to snip single or a small number of stitches, or fine thread close to an area of stitching.

The best place for practical advice on this kind of tool may well be a dressmaking/haberdashery or embroidery materials shop.

Janome make very good scissors, Wilkinson Sword are a well established name for many types of blade. I am sure there are others.

I also have purchased scissors from a supermarket at very low cost and have been pleasantly surprised at their effectiveness and longevity.

Linda

3dDave is online now Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

For paper I used a small pair of embroidery scissors, couldnt get my fat fingers through any other small ones haha. Have a few pairs of those snippers but I find you need a light "pinch" action, which I don't have, just use a scalpel now, If I need a long straight cut I then use a steel rule, sliding cutter or my guillotine.

Dave.

The first are snippers, intended for loose thread clipping and I couldn't see them being any help with anything else, tbh. I have a few pairs and use them solely for thread clipping and shaving the nap off materials for hemming (think teddy bear material).

I haven't seen or used the second, sorry.

What sort of work are you planning on doing?
    Do not watch this space

Christa is offline Senior Member Mega Crafter

I did not get on with those teeny snipper things at all, they were really awkward to use. I have one pair of good scissors (they were actually hair cutting scissors years ago but are perfect for crafting) and I use them for general cutting and fussy cutting (cutting around and into the edges of very detailed images), I have a small pair of super sharp snips for ribbon (Mine are from SU and they are super sharp and have lasted years - I have a small piece of ribbon attached to these to easily identify their purpose) and then I have a pack of all purpose scissors (mine were from Ikea and cost a couple of quid for four in a set) The largest pair I use for large card etc ... the other three are pretty much the same size and I use one for all things sticky (like cutting foam tape or adhesive rolls) because you never want to gunk your decent scissors, one for anything metal or glittery (because it can blunt the blades) and the other pair gets used when wrapping and packing or unopening stuff. Each has a different colour handle so they are easy to identify.

glynisrose is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

I bought a pair from e-bay but found the comfort grip embroidery scissors at the Works on special offer!!

Thread Information