Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Thread: Website Law

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Default Website Law

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

There seems to be some confusion with regard to showing an address on a website or not, this paragraph gives the specifics and as sellers of our work may be of some interest:

Do I need to show my address on my website?

For most basic websites there is no legal requirement to show your address on your website. However, if you sell goods or services on your website the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 dictate that you must provide your “full geographic address”, particularly if payment is taken in advance as is the norm.
    If payment is taken through your website your bank or payment gateway provider may even have more stringent rules and can insist that you show both your address, company registration details and VAT registration number (if you have one of course) in their terms and conditions.
    We actually believe and always advise our customers that it is beneficial to show an address on any corporate website to add credibility to your business. If you are not happy showing your home address then a compromise could be to set up a PO Box or a virtual office. We feel it is important to take every opportunity to give visitors to your website confidence in you and your business, therefore increasing the chances of them getting in touch or placing an order. We put huge efforts into driving traffic to a website but many people forget the simple things that can help make a website successful.

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Told someone that on FB who was trying to sell me gemstones and all I got back was ''But I'm an honest seller'' yeh right !!! Didn''t hear from them again.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I have a friend who is not too confident buying online (he got ripped off once) so he always phones me to ask my opinion on a website before he purchases from it - my first question always is 'can you see a geographical address and phone number?' I've also been known to phone a company before ordering anything expensive from a site with a 'query' just to make sure the phone number is legit.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

You do take so much on face value with websites and must admit have done checks myself on a new site to check as legit as possible. If no address and telephone number walk away and they lose the sale. Better safe than sorry which is one reason prefer paying through paypal (I know they can be a pain at times) but recently purchased an item where they did not send the number they should, therefore overcharged us by about £20. Paypal refunded the money.

I always go on Google Earth and walk down the street where the address is located. Not a definitive answer of course just another safeguard but it did raise questions once when a 'large' business was trading from a terraced house!

Never can be too safe when it comes to parting with my money!

David

beatrix is offline Junior Member Moderate crafter

You're right. I also use google streer to check some companies before I use their services.

Thread Information