Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Brightstar this does not stop you putting an address and telephone number. If you are using paypal as a payment platform you can get your business account verified through them, this means when someone buys they can see that you are a verified business buyer. Terms and conditions again do not have to wait for a certificate to be added to a website.

Maybe I am wrong but you seem to want to do what you want and are not really interested in what we have to offer. Between us Dave, Stef, Netty and myself have years of business experience behind us and we do know what we are talking about as have been through all this ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by brightstar View Post
    - in regards to the shop looking empty in my mind nearly 400 different types of bead isn't empty. I also do not have the budget to increase the stock at this time. This will happen gradually..
    I think we can assume that Dave is not a beader From the perspective of new to the beading game it might look empty, 2 type of bead, 8 varieties does not sound a lot. Newbies won't appreciate the range of sizes at first glance.

As you say that will grow. So, for now, maybe you could have a picture of a luscious pile of beads linking to pictures of the amounts you actually buy.

But, I really cannot recommend enough that you get your DRS information sorted. I would imagine by now you are sick of hearing it, but it is a vital part of your website, for legal reasons and customer confidence.

This is one reason I currently am not selling. We have recently moved and I need an address that I can use that is not my home. My main business means I would be far more sensible to have an office address, so when I get that sorted I will use it for both businesses.

Good luck.
    Do not watch this space

Thank you for your comments Stef, it is actually nice to see some positive comments for once! I would like to address the fact that I am currently in the process of sorting out my terms and conditions along with a Privacy policy. I understand that a certificate is not required for these. It is all well and good, Caroline saying you need this that and the other. But what you also need to bear in mind is the business owners current situation. Mine being: working 47.5 hours a week, finalising my mortgage, and running my day-to-day tasks along with this business, not only that, I was made redundant several weeks ago. To say I have a lot on my plate is an understatement. Not everyone has the luxury of time and a massive budget. I am doing the very best I can with a very limited budget and sometimes someone just wants to hear a word of encouragement (this is not aimed at you Steph).

You mentioned Caroline that, "you seem to want to do what you want and are not really interested in what we have to offer". I came to this forum for advice, yes, of course. What I got instead were sharp, terse remarks about the website. It feels to me that you and a few others have got a bit above your station. You seem to forget that you are conversing with real people and these people have feelings. You also need to consider that at some point, you too had new businesses and perhaps didn't have all the answers. I don't deign to think I have all the right answers, but what I do expect to get from a forum is a bit of friendly chat, some new contacts and a bit of confidence boosting. Whereas I just feel like I am the little kid in the playground on their own being picked on by the popular kids.

You can think what you want to about this post. I'm just a very passionate woman working extremely hard to make something of myself. This post will probably be deleted by one of you anyway. I will most likely be leaving this forum. It seems this is clearly not my platform and I have not felt welcomed at any point.
    Visit www.brightstarbeads.co.uk for bargain high quality beads.

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

Hi Brightstar, Firstly your post will not be deleted, why would it be? I for one am sorry to hear that you will be leaving us because you feel this forum is not for you but as someone that is starting a new business and asking for feedback, as far as the DSR point, would you have preferred us to say nothing then you got ripped to shreds by trading standards? By the tone of your posts at no time did you say that you were addressing it..that is one of the foundation stones of any online business. With reference to your posts being deleted, you posted around 9-10 times on dead posts, both Stef and myself asked you to look at the dates, you still opened dead posts, one was seven years old. The post was deleted because at that age it had no useful purpose, that's all...anyone else's post on a thread last reported on seven years ago would have been deleted too.
    You asked for feedback and it was given, honestly, from me, no differently than I would have, and have in the past told other people that asked. I would like to think that if you join another forum and ask for feedback, or if their members, as ours have, spot where you could come unstuck with HMRC or trading standards etc that they have the integrity to inform you and you have the foresight to take their advice. We are all real people too, real people giving you real advice because we know the pitfalls, we don't want YOU to fall down them however harsh the advice may have seemed. A new start up is not easy but unless you get the basics in place it is a business built on foundations of sand..which would you prefer?
    I wish you well with your site and If nothing else hope you take the advice offered.

Dave.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I agree with Dave you asked and we gave advice. I started when working full time in a managerial position, with a Mother with Alzheimers, then later my MIL with Dementia. I do understand what hard work is a started on a budget of 50 so did not have a 'massive budget' as a lot of my funds were paying for Mother's care.

This was never personal, you asked for advice we gave it but you did nothing to comply with the basic laws of trading online. This takes seconds to do, not weeks. Others have asked the same questions as you and actioned the points we made if applicable particularly the DSR side. As Dave said you do not want the powers to come down on you and lose everything. If you approached a company spe******ing in websites they would have said the same. Sorry you took offence we were just trying to help you avoid the pitfalls that some on here have come up against. I admit I got frustrated as your subsequent posts appeared to ignore all our help and be negative about our advice.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 11-09-2015 at 06:39 AM.

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
    I agree with Dave you asked and we gave advice. I started when working full time in a managerial position, with a Mother with Alzheimers, then later my MIL with Dementia. I do understand what hard work is a started on a budget of 50 so did not have a 'massive budget' as a lot of my funds were paying for Mother's care.
    I don't think many of us started our businesses with the luxury of lots of time and money. I was the same as you and the OP, working all the hours god sent in my employed job while caring for ill family members and with a tiny budget. As you say Caroline we're talking from experience having been there ourselves once upon a time - the fact we're now running our businesses full time show that it is possible to do.

One of the best things I ever did when starting my business was to make an appointment to see a business adviser, it was free and accessed through MENTA. It could be worth seeing if there's such an organisation locally to you brightstar as they covered everything such as selling online, budgeting, HMRC, marketing and much more.

You might also find this thread useful http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...craft-business

I think we all started small Netty, do not know many handmakers who had a large bank balance at the start or now come to think of it . We do it for the love of what we do and a passion to create.

I started with harlequin clowns, took 2 to work sold and then took orders. Got to the stage when even DH was stuffing legs for me and tbh have never made a clown since as got to dread seeing their chirpie. Went onto mice and the same happened, so self funded apart from the 1st 2 but the profit enabled me to buy to make for the orders a bit like a pyramid in reverse.

When I opened my business account saw a small business advisor at the bank (foc all part of the service) and he was brilliant he had run his own business so helped me avoid a lot of problems such as pli which I knew nothing about at the time. He found it hard to understand handmade at the beginning but soon learned and became a good customer.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 11-09-2015 at 09:13 AM.

beatrix is offline Junior Member Moderate crafter

I also think you should try to take better pictures to show that your products are really worth buying. Maybe invest in a better camera or ask some close photographers for help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information