Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Poparoo is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default do i need insurance for personalised baby clothing?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi, i have done some searching but cant seem to find an answer. Im in the process of setting up a little business personalising baby clothes with accessories. Im going to be selling them on Facebook/etsy...all online for the time being. So with me not doing a stall do i need public liability insurance..or do i need product liability? ive had a look on insurance websites for quotes including the ian wallace one which is recommended alot on this forum but there is a section that asks if its for bespoke clothing and when clicked they then wont quote me. Other quotes have been close to 300 which seems alot more than others, Someone please point me in the right direction im getting so confused.

Thank you

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Yes you need both public and product liability, most craft fairs will not accept you without. Not worth losing everything if someone puts in a claim.

You mention about personalising baby clothes, are you making these or buying ready made? If ready made you may have to check with the suppliers and trading standards, plus what are you using to accessorise again would have to ensure child friendly, no choking hazards etc.

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

With Ian Wallace, just ring them up and they will quote you there and then. I would guess ( and I may be wrong, bail me out girls) that if you are just adding accessories to clothes and not making them from scratch then they would not be classed as bespoke because they are not altered or tailored specifically for an individual?

Dave.

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

You are right Dave only bespoke if made from scratch using a pattern not commercial use one you have designed yourself. I make bespoke items when a customer wants something specific that can not be found on the high street

Thank you for your replies im not doing a craft fair..i understand if i do a craft fair then i have to have public/product liability..what im confused about is that ive been told a few times that i still need public liability even if im just selling through facebook/etsy...but then also been told i dont. Regarding the accessories they are being made completely from scratch with my own patterns

Thanks again

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

If someone or their property are damaged or harmed by your product in any way they can make a claim against you, that is why you will need product liability insurance, there is no upper limit to what they may try to claim.

Should the public, or anyone else, postman, deliveries etc ever have to visit your place of work, eg your house, office, place of business then you will need public liability insurance. The short answer is yes, you need both public and product liability insurances.

Dave.

Dave is right does not matter if you re selling face to face or via the web. You must have public and product liability. Customers can sue just the same.

You are making the accessories but are they safe for babies and what about the clothing you put them on, all of this has to be checked and your first point of call should be Trading Standards as they can advise if the clothing and embellishments you are using are safe. The case in point has been dummy clips, they are now banned from selling as proved a chocking hazard. We may sound harsh but there has been a recent case of a claim when the crafter was not insured and they have lost everything, home etc as not insured properly. Years of experience behind both of us so we do know what should be done.

Re the insurance ring the companies such as Ian Wallace an explain what you are doing, where you are sourcing the blank clothes from and the type of embellishments you are using. Don't forget top register with the HMRC for self employment.

Thanks again for your help. Iv spoke to trading standards and all is fine with the baby clothes and accessories im going to call a few insurance companies and sort out public/product liability insurance.

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Pleased you are now sorted. I always think this is a wonderful place for common sense and practical advice
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Thread Information