• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TVVT
    Moderate crafter
    • Jun 2015

Makeshift garden on the balcony

A few years ago a made some planters for a garden on the balcony. I live in Utrecht, which is a crowded city in the already crowded Netherlands. Housing, especially student housing is expensive, and this seldomly one will have access to a proper garden. I grew up in a more rural area (a city between Rotterdam and Antwerp), so i actually enjoy gardening and "growing stuff". Since my parents used to be fervent wine drinkers, their house was ridden with wine crates, that they used for storage. When my father decided to throw away the wine craters, i decided to use them to create my own garden on my little balcony. My balcony is really small (3 m2) and i use it for everything and anything: sun bathing, growing vegetables and spices, and storing beer crates. As space is limited, i constructed a staircase like planter. Under the caskets, there's space to store soda cans and a beer crate. One has to be practical. I built it in 2013, and i'm currently growing: 3 types of tomatoes, basil, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, regular thyme and lemon thyme, lemon balm, tagetes and various other flowers.

This is the result:

The idea, in 3d:
    bakje.jpg

and the result:
    img_2024-e1434297376322.jpg
    Visit my weblog for more of my work: http://teveelvrijetijd.wordpress.com
  • MornieG Jewellery
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Feb 2010

Great idea, can't beat a bit of recycling.

Mo.XX
    Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.bodrighy.co.uk
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

• TVVT
      Moderate crafter
      • Jun 2015

Thanks Here is a quick update on how it current looks. I'm growing red cherry tomatoes, gold nugget yellow cherry tomatoes and oxheart tomatoes. I've harvested the red cherry tomatoes quite often now, the yellow ones and the oxhearts were planted later, i'm hoping august will bring me a decent harvest

Regarding the mess: I'm a messy person

Visit my weblog for more of my work: http://teveelvrijetijd.wordpress.com

Comment

• indri
        Super Moderator
        Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
        • Jan 2007

The planters look great on your balcony. A perfect use for the old crates.
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

• TheTinMan
          Moderate crafter
          • Jun 2015

Looks great. I like the vintage styling on the box planters.
          My handmade magnetic tin sets for sale - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262087356731

Comment

• PeachAndMint
            Junior crafter
            • Mar 2016

Oooh these are great! We've just recently upcycled some old pallets into planters might be a bit big for your balcony though
            www.peachandmint.co.uk

Comment

• EllieHardman
              Moderate crafter
              • Jan 2017

These a great! I'm so glad you've been able to fashion a mini garden or your balcony, everyone needs a little green in their life.

Comment

• michelle_ellen
                Moderate crafter
                • Aug 2016

Fantastic, the mother-in-law is mad on recycling items to use for her garden. Will be showing her this

Comment

• multicolor.anthill
                  Junior crafter
                  • Feb 2017

I have a plan to do something with my balcony which is currently empty and not very big. When I will do something, will post
                  before&after pictures =)

Comment

• Dani_30
                    Moderate crafter
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by multicolor.anthill View Post
                    I have a plan to do something with my balcony which is currently empty and not very big. When I will do something, will post
                    before&after pictures =)
                    Sounds super exciting. I love before & after projects!!

Comment

Working...
                    X