Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

thanks caroline and mo, you are both a wealth of information! and I'll keep trying to emulate those shop windows & pinterest pictures, I'll keep you posted on any further progress!
    "Eat, Make, Hustle"

Wisteria Interior

Thanks everyone for the useful info! I am quite new to this and any information is useful to me!

I keep trying to make good pics, but maybe need to read/practice more ...don't like how they turn out for now

SharonH is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

I know this is an old thread but it's very informative...thank you I only take pictures for my blog and to show on Facebook but after reading this I realise I need to put a lot more thought into the background etc to try and makes my cards look as good as I can instead of doing it how I am at the moment.

Sharon

woody1969 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Iv just read through the post and no one has said about giving the photo a proper descriptive description tied to the Webpage description, this not only helps with the SEO for that page but some people also search by image these days. It can be a little more work but worth the extra effort especially when you see your stuff come up in an Internet search

In the beginning I started out with just plain backgrounds but at some point I saw the light and yes I also style out nearly every photo I take. I makes such a difference to how good the product looks, and it helps them to think of it in a contextual way as part of their life, makes it feel 'real'.

I always take care to generally only use pale props and things that aren't too patterned or bold, as you don't want the prop domineering the scene and taking focus away from what you're selling.

I concur about natural light. I've not managed to remotely beat it or even equal it with any set up or any lightbox with the advised lighting for it, and so no longer bother to try, I use natural light every time.

Amanda
    Taylor Two Gifts

Handmade jewellery, gifts, mugs, greeting cards, hip flasks and more ...

Quote Originally Posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
    There are two very different photos for selling, product shots and lifestyle shots. Magazines usually want product shots, item on a white background, high resolution but potential customers usually want to see something they can relate to. In an online shop I think you need a product shot so people can see exactly what they are buying, but the lifestyle shot should make then 'buy in' to it. Luxury sells, making the client feel they have taste and style by purchasing what you have to sell. Props can vary from a different ground to a whole setting depending on what you are trying to sell. Sometimes its also good to have a theme running through your items that customers can recognise and relate your products to.

This is a huge subject but getting it right for you is trial and error. It's worth experimenting with lots of unusual props or just keeping it simple with one or two that you use in all your pictures.

I have done some styling for photoshoots in a past life and it's a fascinating subject.

Mo.XX
    this is a great answer, I'm so gonna do that

Dani_30 is offline Junior Member Moderate crafter

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorTwo View Post
    In the beginning I started out with just plain backgrounds but at some point I saw the light and yes I also style out nearly every photo I take. I makes such a difference to how good the product looks, and it helps them to think of it in a contextual way as part of their life, makes it feel 'real'.

I always take care to generally only use pale props and things that aren't too patterned or bold, as you don't want the prop domineering the scene and taking focus away from what you're selling.

I concur about natural light. I've not managed to remotely beat it or even equal it with any set up or any lightbox with the advised lighting for it, and so no longer bother to try, I use natural light every time.

Amanda
    Why not try out editing soft-wares that will give you some form of control when it comes to lighting? The best part is that most of them are free. I use Paintnet to edit my Pinterest photos and i must say that it is relatively easy to use. Maybe taking a quick look at this https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide...obe-photoshop/ might help if you are new to such stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information