Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

suejspencer is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default Cake Bouquets Advice

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hello everyone, I am making cup cake bouquets for my evening reception for my wedding in May. To save money I have collected large baked bean tins and washed them out and covered them with the same paper as my invites with ribbon and a glitter button on (which is also on my invites). The tins are 6" wide. I'm not sure if this is a silly question. Do I need a 6" ball to go into this for me to stick my cup cakes on. If so can anyone suggest a cheap option to the ball, as 6" polystyrene balls are working out expensive as I need at least 8 ball. Many Thanks

Not sure if these would work, but these ideas buzzed through my brain - florist oasis? Large papermache ball? Stuff most of the tin with newspaper, and a prettier layer and place the cakes on that?

3dDave is online now Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

Hi Sue, Maybe cut out some plastic discs same diameter as tin but leave 3 long tags or legs about an inch wide that will fold in and hold the disc at the height position you require, just a sturdy pair of scissors and some plastic sheet, clear poly for cards would probably work prevent sturdy card, you would get all of them out of one sheet of A3 probably.

Dave.
    Last edited by 3dDave; 14-03-2015 at 09:02 PM.

I've never made cupcake bouquets before.

What about using half of a hollow 6 inch ball instead? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-LARG...item51a2ae93b3 These don't look too pricy. You would need to raise the inner base of the tin so they reach the correct level. I think I'd make a box square box to fit inside the tin and to the required height and stick a 6 inch round cake board on top. Doesn't have to be a drum board, 3mm thick will be fine.

Another option might be to buy, rent or borrow a hemisphere cake tin and bake cakes to use as the base. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakeland-M...item3a985a3678. You could make and freeze the cakes in advance so the cake would be edible on the day, if you wanted.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Thread Information