Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

syrius is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default postage policy ?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi, I am starting my new business. I have an ebay shop and my website will be soon launch but I am not too sure how to create a P&P policy for my ebay store and my website .
    I will be grateful if anybody has any tip as I am lost at how to start. thank you.

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I do a flat rate with MyHermes through Parcel 2 go. The basic rate covers up to 1kg, which for fabric items would be a lot. Anything above that I would stand myself as only fair if customers spend a lot.

Postage is a funny thing and reports lately say you should include p & p in the price of the item or add a flat rate not scaled., the former may be fine if larger ticket item but smaller pieces would be more obvious. I dithered about this but felt if I added to the cost of the item the overall postage would be an overcharge for the customer. Very hard. The advantage of a flat rate is customers know from the Getgo what they will be charged, must admit when scaled and I have got to the end of buying, have removed items in the basket to reduce the postage fees, as can add up when scaled.

Dixie (Handmade Lives) writes very good articles for crafters, not sure if she has done one on postage if not perhaps we could shout for her to do one. She writes a lot of sense about selling, pricing (excellent, never undercharge) and more.

syrius is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Thank you I was also considering a different rate as some article are very small while other are a bit larger such as painting and photography. I do also graphic design.
    I have open an account with Hermes too and linked my ebay account with them but I do not know how to link it with my website.

Once again, thank you for your response.

Sorry to stick my nose in, but would you more experienced ones advise more towards couriers than Royal Mail? What are the pros & cons?
    Get comfy with a good ol' Cup o' Candle

Twitter: @cupocandle
    Pinterest: cupocandle
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cupocandle

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Chublington View Post
    Sorry to stick my nose in, but would you more experienced ones advise more towards couriers than Royal Mail? What are the pros & cons?
    Have to say I use both RM and MyHermes and really truely haven't had any problems with either. Who I use depends on the size/weight of the parcel, some bigger, heavier items are much cheaper with myhermes. Actually I work at our village post office on Saturdays and only last week we recommended a customer with a big heavy parcel go and look at myhermes as the RM price was going to be more than twice as much.

Must add that all my parcels are non-breakable so you might get different opinions from members who post delicate items like yourself - worth checking both of their T&Cs regarding ceramics etc to see if they cover you for damages.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

The couriers are often cheaper than RM, collect from your door, or there are drop off points. Plus have a full tracking service which seems to work, unlike RD which more often than not you pay for then cannot track because the postman does not scan the post only collects.

Thanks ladies, something to think about there

I posted my first online order yesterday (hurrah!) & just assumed Royal Mail would be the best/cheapest/most reliable as that's all I know but your replies are helpful, fankoooo.
    Get comfy with a good ol' Cup o' Candle

Twitter: @cupocandle
    Pinterest: cupocandle
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cupocandle

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

We have a flat rate of 3.50 per order and free postage on orders over 60 - it is on every page of our web site so the customer always knows what they will be paying.

For orders up to 2kg we use R M franked second class, (there really is no difference between 1st and 2nd)

For orders over 2kg we use http://www.ipostparcels.com - "touch wood" in 9 years and many parcels, we have only had one problem with RM

Did you see the parcel on the roof of the house that Hermes left - FB and Twitter were full of it:-)

Here is the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...guttering.html

Jane
    Last edited by greannancrafts; 13-08-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Thread Information