Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

marcarfor is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Suggestions for quality jewellery making tools

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I am new to jewellery crafting and bought a kit containing long nose and chain nose pliers, flush cutter and nylon head plier but after using them for a few days while playing around I can see that they really are not going to be up to the job. The set cost about 15 pounds and having had a look around I see that one can spend more than that just on one item so I am wondering does it really make a big difference o the finished item? What make of jewellery tool can you recommend? Grateful for any advice.

Be honest with you I just plod on with the basic sets and twist them about to suit my purposes, people have bought me some very expensive sets over the years and I still migrate back to my old faithfuls. The cutters, however good they are or how much they cost, will blunt eventually anyway and need replacing and the point nose are what they are, as long as they have nice close points and thin down well towards the end they are perfect and more expensive ones won't do a better job. I would save your money for now and invest it later in something you really want. 'Spe******t' tools tend to be fads, for instance the one step looper (or Plooper as we eventually called it) I don't know anyone who bought on that thought it was any good.

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

I've got so many cheap pliers gathering dust because the ends have warped. I now always buy the best I can afford - Lindstrom are my favourites.

thanks for your replies, my chain nose pliers after only a week or so do not close flush so cannot keep hold of a piece of wire, money is tight so just wanted to know if the investment is going to make a diiference.

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I would love Lindstrom but I have found these from Palmers to be good especially if you are doing a lot of work at once like opening and closing jumps they need to be comfortable to use and sit well in your hands.

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/t...c-wubbers.html

I have these too which despite the price have not failed me,

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/t...ose-plier.html

You can probably get away with buying one new pair of flat nose for now and use the old ones to hold the item rather then work it when you have to use two. A reasonable pair of round nose pliers like these http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/t...ose-plier.html if you can't afford Wubbers or Linstrom should be good enough. I have these as a second pair to Wubbers and found them to be just as good and very comfortable to use when doing chain maille.

Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

Thanks Mo, I will take a look at these

Thread Information