Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

pearlpearls is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Import Restrictions in the UK

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

So, I was going through the long list of prohibited items on the royal mail website and I am confused. I sell Pearl Jewellery and I am not sure whether the parcel I shipped to a customer in UK will reach its destination or not. I have shipped from India using India post and declared customs. I am concerned that it would be held by the UK customs as pearl/imitation jewellery of any kind is not allowed apparently.

Can someone clarify this? Client is based in Greenock, Inverclyde

Thank you

eena is offline Senior Member Super crafter

This is forum for crafters - hobbyists, semi-pro and professional - based in the UK, not a forum for customs enquiries, so no-one here can possibly respond from a position of authority.

You need to contact HMRC. The regulations are all available online at HMRC's website and are very comprehensive; however HMRC are very good at responding to emails of enquiry should you find yourself confused bt them.

There are very good and proper reasons why the import of pearls from certain countries may be prohibited, or only permitted under certain stringent conditions.

Hi PearlPearls,

It's an interesting question as I have also wondered about the many items that seem to be prohibited or restricted from being posted anywhere internationally, considering these things must get exported/imported all the time by big companies. I would imagine your question is helpful for other's who sell jewellery made with pearls, whether they're selling from the UK to customers abroad, or selling outside the UK and also selling abroad.

I see you are on Etsy, it may be worth asking on the forums in Etsy as there will be plenty of other sellers of jewellery on there that may have experience of this first hand, sending to various countries.

In the meantime I hope your item arrives safely with your customer!

Would love to hear back if you find the answer to your question, as I'm sure it will be helpful to others too.

Wendy
    Happywrap - Reusable Fabric Gift Wrap

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/happywrap

Eena, to be fair, the OP posted in the 'Business Postage - RM, Couriers, Packaging etc' section of the forum and is a perfectly valid question. It is helpful to those running a craft business within the UK that need to import supplies from abroad, and also to those that sell internationally from the UK.

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

We are watching.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

PearlPearls,

I've just been having a look through the business and personal section of prohibited items on the Royal Mail website and can't find anything about pearl jewellery or imitation jewellery so unless I've missed it I don't think you'll have a problem there:

http://www.royalmail.com/business/he...ohibited-goods

If you're worried about import duty/tax, it looks as though as long as the value of the goods is under 135 there's no customs/import duty to pay, but your customer may have to pay VAT if the total value is over 15, this is according to the gov.uk site:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-and-exporting-by-post

I've seen some sellers and companies have written in their t & c's that customs/import duties and taxes are the responsibility of the buyer, which makes sense as it is out of the sellers control.

Hope that helps anyway!

pearlpearls is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Thanks for your helpful replies guys. Thanks for the links. I had gone through some link that had mentioned that pearls and imitation jewellery were not allowed. Hence, I am circumspect. I am keeping fingers crossed. I will update you as soon as receive confirmation from customer that she has got the parcel. It should be in the next 10-15 days.

Thread Information