Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default May I ask a couple of questions?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

This should have been in the thread about banning, but for some inexplicable reason it's been locked.

I completely understand about the deleted mod (though I think it's a shame that it shows as a ban, which would imply some wrongdoing).

However this raises two questions.

Firstly, regarding those who are 'temporarily' banned. If they are reinstated, does their content reappear?

Secondly, I understood that threads, once posted, belonged to the forum, not to the individual poster. Surely this means that this wealth of information should stand, regardless of whether the member's account has been removed. I ask this in the light of an experience I had on another forum, where a member decided to leave, and started deleting their own content, rendering huge numbers of thread incomprehensible. The same is happening here with deleted content and the forum seems a poorer place for it.

I may be remembering wrongly, but I'm sure I've seen previous examples of bans where posts remained in place, but I may be confusing this with other boards.

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Hi George. OK. In answer to your questions:-
    1) yes the deleted content will reappear and
    2) We find it a shame too that the posts by perm banned members are lost but the administrator had to change it to this for reasons we can't really go in to.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

I too am saddened to see these two people banned from the forum as they offered a lot of sound advice to the forum. Both are quite opinionated people and sometimes there responses could be seen as rather harsh and argumentative. But equally, they wrote 'how it is' and didn't try to wrap everything in cotton wool.

What is the procedure before people are banned from the forum? Do the mods discuss it together or are people sent a final warning message first?

I would imagine that the reason why permanently banned members' posts are lost is because the banned member no longer has the ability to amend or delete the content from the forum should they wish to do so at a later date.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by the card shark View Post
    What is the procedure before people are banned from the forum? Do the mods discuss it together or are people sent a final warning message first?
    Yes the mods will always discuss it thoroughly as it's never a decision we take lightly and it's a decision we all have to be in agreement with.

Generally members are warned first, then a short temp ban is issued, followed by a longer temp ban and then finally they are banned for good so it's a bit of a 3 strikes and you're out type thing. Obviously it depends on what they have done and there are some exceptions to the rule for serious rule breaking but in my 8 years as a mod I can only recall that happening a few times - one that sticks in my mind is when the husband of a member sent a fellow mod a PM of pure expletive filled abuse when he didn't agree with the warning she had been given.

It's rare a genuine member is banned for good, I can only think of two in the past year and one of those was with the agreement of the member in question.

Usually a warning or temp ban is enough to make a member take a step back and look at why many others are reporting them. At the end of the day we want the forum to be as friendly as possible where people aren't afraid to ask questions

Thanks for the explanation.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Thread Information