Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Thread: Users Banned

Default User is banned

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

I have to add, I've been rather surprised at a couple of recent bans, one of whom was (or certainly used to be) a mod of long standing.

I can understand warnings being issued, or even some content being deleted, but the outright banning of people who've contributed such a lot to the community does seem a bit shortsighted. What's even sadder is that so many great contributions, which often include the content that draws people here to start with, are lost in the process, and that devalues everybody's input. It makes me wary of posting useful information (which I like to think I do) as I risk the whole lot being deleted, possibly as a result of purely vindictive actions by another member.

Out of curiousity, how are decisions to ban made? Can it be done by a single mod, or a minimum number thereof, or does admin need to be involved?
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 12-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.

OMG. I have just realised who has been banned! I had been watching that thread with interest and have previously read it all.

One person in particular almost always give good, sound, well thought out advice. yes she can be a bit abrupt but none of us are perfect.

No point in a forum where you cannot get thruthful opinions when you ask for them. The OP doesn't seem to have been bothered by any posts.
    Cathy
    I sew, therefore I am.
    I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Let me just clarify, the moderators (as a collective decision) have recently issued infractions to two members which have resulted in temporary bans. This is due to us receiving complaints from a number of members on more than one occasion, the ban is because they had previously been warned about their attitude/manner. We have also issued warnings to other members, the reason they are not showing as banned is due to the fact they had no previous complaints against them.

We have said numerous times that it's possible to give realistic helpful advice without being unkind.

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I concur with Nattynetty. It was no one Mod decision, it was totally collective and was seriously considered from all angles.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

indri is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

This is why it all happened a day after the thread was closed, moderator decisions can take some time, especially as we are not all online together.
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

beadsbydesign is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have to add, I've been rather surprised at a couple of recent bans, one of whom was (or certainly used to be) a mod of long standing.
    The moderator in question requested to leave and asked that all her posts on the forum be deleted. As she had 10000's posts, the only way to physically do this was to ban her. She was in full knowledge of the fact and was happy with the outcome.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Thread Information