Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

OurJud is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Suitable stapler for multiple pages

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I would like to try my hand at making some notebooks modeled on the Moleskine cahier. For those of you unfamiliar, they are a simple card-backed notebook containing 64 pages.

The difference being that I would like, if possible, to simply staple mine together, as opposed to the stitching method used on the Moleskines.

What price would I be looking at paying, for a stapler strong enough to get through 32 pages of standard printer paper and some thin card? Any links to - or names of - a suitable stapler would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by OurJud; 30-09-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Craftychez View Post
    Speak to your supplier. I order from Viking Direct, now called Office Depot but you can search and both bring up their website. I couln't make head or tail of their catalogue when I was looking for a stapler for lots of sheets of paper so I phoned them up. Mine only does up to 40 pages but it does still use standard 26/6 staples. It wasn't expensive and it has a 10 year guarantee. They will have staplers to suit your needs, I'm just not qualified to advise you on which one.
    Thanks, Craftychez. I had a look on amazon and found a number of staplers that were strong enough, but the problem I then found was trying to work out if the distance between staple and the back of the staple was long enough to get the notebook into position. A normal stapler is fine if all you're doing is stapling a couple of inches in, but I would need about 4 inches of play in order to get the staple head to the centre of the pages.

I know they do long-arm staplers for exactly this purpose, but I couldn't find any that would staple more than 20 sheets.

Default User is banned

Have you considered using a comb binder instead?

You can also clamp the pages together with bulldog clips, brush Copydex glue down on side, allow to dry and complete several times. To make a notepad with peel off sheets!
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Craftychez, I'd only be stapling through 32 pages, so I should be able to find a stapler that won't break the bank (or my desk).

the card shark, not sure what a comb binder is, but the problem isn't really the construction of the notebooks, it's just finding a stapler that will do the job I'm having difficulty with.

Prior to getting my first long reach stapler I just used to use a normal stapler and a mousemat by opening the stapler up and pressing it through the paper and into the mousemat. If the number of sheets of paper was too thick for the staple to go through then I'd mark it with the points of the staple then use a needle or something sharp and pointy to poke through all the sheets. After the staple was poked through the paper I'd position a semi straightened paperclip around one of the ends of the staple and press it down with a ruler over the paperclip to give it the traditional curved shape you would get if you were using a normal stapler.

If you're doing one offs then that method should work, I used to use it commercially quite often and if I had larger orders I'd take them to a place I used to work at and use their saddle stitchers, but my clients never noticed the difference.

Default User is banned

Yes, Craftychez, I am wanting to staple along the middle of the notebooks. The notebooks when closed measure 14 X 9cm, so the throat would have to be at least 9cm deep.

Annoying, throat depth seems to be something no one bothers including in their product details. I have found one for less than 10 that will supposedly staple through 50 sheets using 24/8 staples, and the throat appears to be deep enough, but until I can see it in the flesh, so to speak, I won't know for sure.

stapler.jpeg

Default User is banned

Thread Information