Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Roslet is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

Default I am neither and I don't care!

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

OK, over the last few months, I have become a little disconcerted by some of the threads about whether you are a professional or what seems to be the rather derogatory term hobbyist. Well I am saying it right now, I am neither and frankly I don't care!

As I see it, everyone on here did not know what they doing at some point, they practised, became adept were probably encouraged by friends and family and then gifted or started to sell their produce. You do not become a professional overnight.

For me, sewing, knitting and making is what I do. It is part of my life, I have done it most days since I was a child and the thing that I like to do best is to share it... the biggest blast I got this Christmas was seeing some girls that I had taught to make wreathes selling them at a craft fair, however they had overfilled their stall and you couldn't see the wood for the trees... I made a few suggestions and went back the next week to another fair in which they were exhibiting they had streamlined the stall, I bought a fantastic wreath for my door but this time I had to queue!

I expect someone out there will now say, "oooh but they have taken your idea," but do you know what, there are very few original ideas, all you can do is work with the basics and add a personal twist to it. It is down to the fabric, yarn and the way you put it together, your interpretation.

And that for me is what crafting is all about, it is about sharing and passing it forward.

Default User is banned

User is banned, content is deleted automatically.

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

And more importantly Roslet you are happy

I think with the business sections on here a lot of craft businesses (and potential craft businesses) are drawn to joining because the information and support here is fabulous, I know lots of members have turned their hobby into a small part-time business due to the encouragement they got from here. However it is a craft forum open to all and in fact two of our most active mods only craft for enjoyment and that really needs to be the key. Crafting whether for fun or for livelihood should be enjoyable and no-one is 'better' or 'valued more' here as we're all equal as we're all crafters.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Roslet is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

Thank you Natty Netty... that is just the post I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Roslet View Post

As I see it, everyone on here did not know what they doing at some point, they practised, became adept were probably encouraged by friends and family and then gifted or started to sell their produce. You do not become a professional overnight.

For me, sewing, knitting and making is what I do. It is part of my life, I have done it most days since I was a child and the thing that I like to do best is to share it... the biggest blast I got this Christmas was seeing some girls that I had taught to make wreathes selling them at a craft fair, however they had overfilled their stall and you couldn't see the wood for the trees... I made a few suggestions and went back the next week to another fair in which they were exhibiting they had streamlined the stall, I bought a fantastic wreath for my door but this time I had to queue!

I expect someone out there will now say, "oooh but they have taken your idea," but do you know what, there are very few original ideas, all you can do is work with the basics and add a personal twist to it. It is down to the fabric, yarn and the way you put it together, your interpretation.

And that for me is what crafting is all about, it is about sharing and passing it forward.
    Well said Ros.

It's a shame the term hobbyist has been used in a derogatory way. We all know there's nothing wrong with a hobby! It seems the problem a lot of people have is with "undercutting" which will always happen. In my experience, if your work is good quality, well designed and well presented, you will always outsell someone who is undercutting you (as long as your price isn't prohibitive). Price is never the main consideration when buying something handmade or for a gift (otherwise we'd all be buying gifts from the shop!).

I agree that sharing is important - it's important for all of us to share techniques and knowledge. As handmade professionals or hobbyists, none of us can take over the world with our makes - there's only 24 hours in a day.

Having said that, there's a fine line to draw here. Sharing techniques I am more than happy with. People copying my designs I am not happy with (unless I have designed them as patterns, of course!).

As a former adult ed teacher, I always thought there is no better feeling than teaching someone a technique or skill and then seeing them apply that knowledge and (even better) develop the idea. It's amazing. And we all learn off each other all the time, not just in classes.

For the most part, the crafting community is supportive and shares a lot. I love that aspect of it.
    digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
    blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
    hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
    blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

indri is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I joined here because the forum is a busy place and I can discuss any crafts I like, and I seem to have been a very naughty bunny since joining. I was meant to not learn any more new crafts. Since joining I have learnt to knit and have learnt about all sorts of sewing things I didn't know how to do (like old English piecing) and I wouldn't mind having a go at crochet. I was meant to stick to quilling so I wouldn't get what might be known as craft storage issues. Oh well. At least if I try crochet it wouldn't be too much different to what I already have in stock for the knitting. I already have some crochet hooks. I'd better stop there I am rambling now. I love being here to discuss crafts and am unable to help anyone who wants a business!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Quote Originally Posted by Roslet View Post
    OK, over the last few months, I have become a little disconcerted by some of the threads about whether you are a professional or what seems to be the rather derogatory term hobbyist. Well I am saying it right now, I am neither and frankly I don't care!

Well said Roslet, and others. I could add to this but you have put it so eloquently I don't feel the need. I am good at some things I sell and not so good at others. I love the generosity of spirit here and am improving because of it.

Marion

3dDave is offline Super Moderator Super mega big crafter

Blimey Ros, what you have just nailed in one post has been kicked around and got nowhere, caused war, peace and virtual lawsuits, fallins, fallouts, everything else apart from a drive by shooting, all across about 13 pages and its still rolling on!

Well done you!

All the best, Dave

I think we should all concentrate on being the best that we can be and not worry about people undercutting us. Once we've built up our reputation, people will become loyal followers and keep returning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information