Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default Wedding Cake....Help!

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

My good friend is getting married and she has asked me to make her cake. I make cakes for friends and have done a couple of courses but im not sure how to go about doing this cake!Ive been told it looks like chocolate has been used which i have no experience with....So does anyone know if it is chocolate thats been used and how i would do this cake?

Thanks

283$!x600.jpg

I would have guessed at fondant icing, much easier to manipulate than chocolate.

Melanie

hazelsmail is offline Senior Member Super crafter

Sorry got no idea but just wanted to say the cake picture is stunning love all the flowers round the base. Try googling it may help, do you know where the picture came from for the ides if so try asking them they may tell you. Definaitly worth a try. hth

Hi,

it does not look like a chocolate to me - it would be more rugged and this is way too neat. Can you trace the origin of the picture ? If yes, you might be able to trace the maker and ask ? (they probably won't tell you, though, but you can see description on the website or blog...).

I would cut the layers of fondant icing/ sugar paste and smooth it before you apply it randomly to the cake to make it look like layers. This should give you the right effect.

Love to know, what the result will be like - post us a picture, please !

Cocoa & Heart has given you some great advice.

I agree in that it looks like the cake has been covered with sugarpaste and white 'smarties' (if there is such a thing lol) have been used as the buttons. Perhaps the cakes themselves are chocolate flavour cakes which is where the confusion has arisen?

Does your friend expect you to copy this cake in it's entirety? There are A LOT of sugar roses around the base and you'll need to insert dowels into the cake to support the upper tiers.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by the card shark View Post
    Cocoa & Heart has given you some great advice.
    Oh, thank you !

Another thought just occured to me ! It could be made from chocolate paste (sold already made or you can make it yourself), which is nicely pliable and you can use it the same as sugarpaste.

People often (even cake makers) refer to cake as chocolate cake, when in fact the decorations are made from chocolate paste.

You can have a look at mine roses (made from chocolate paste) in this link http://www.bexleybakery.co.uk/p/picture-gallery.html

You can make flowers and alsorts with chocolate. Google plastic chocolate. There is a recipe for it using chocolate and corn syrup. You leave it overnight to cool and harden. Looks like icing in the photos.

You could also look at Squires cake website as they may have made up version that you could just buy and roll out.

Good luck. I'd love to see the end result! xx

Just to stick my two penny worth in!!! I'd say the cake was probably sugarpaste.

If you do decide to give it a go in sugarpaste, I would cover the cake as normal, an then add some cmc or gum trag to the paste that you use to create the pleats. The gum makes the paste more forgiving to work with and means it can be rolled a lot thinner so you don't end up with chunky pleats, and it holds it shape whereas sugarpaste on it's own can collapse under it's own weight. When you cut the fondant for the pleats, roll the edges over so you don't have raw edges showing.

It could be recreated in chocolate paste, as has been suggested, but I find (personal opinion only!!) it's much harder to work with than sugarpaste especially if it's hot/humid!! And costs approx 4 times as much.

The little buttons could be made from a mould that is readily available to buy!

You could always do a trial run on a dummy cake!!

x
    My Website :http://www.angelcakesessex.co.uk
    Become a Fan on: Facebook

I don't know much about making cakes professionally or anything just thought I would add my two pence in here, I did have one thought of what it could be though, white chocolate ganache? Only thing I can think of chocolatey in nature that would look so neat like this...
    Handmade Dreamcatchers, Jewellery and more! Wilde About Crafts

ashleybroke is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

People frequently (even cake makers) talk over with cake as chocolate cake, whilst in truth, the decorations are made from chocolate paste.

Thread Information