Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

fleursmummy is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default are there any books that teach how to run craft workshops inc lesson planning etc?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

would really like to put together few millinery trimmings classes and perhaps vintage facsinators for hen nights etc but wouldnt know where to start
    blooms & bows - hand made boutique accessories for the tiniest princess to the trendiest mum!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...23549057752787

blackwillow is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

I did a course some years ago and got myself a C&G qualification in teaching but a basic way to start is to decide what you're going to teach, let's say making a fascinator. Then list all of the things you need to make the fascinator. A good way to complete a lesson plan is to make the item, writing down all of the necessary steps. Would prospective students need to know about a particular technique in order to be able to complete it?
    How long will it take you to demonstrate these techniques and then allow people enough time to try it for themselves? I know that this does not answer your questions but you have to think about it.

You have to consider a couple of things - will you be marketing this at people who have some crafting ability or at complete beginners? Those with ability and confidence won't need so long to complete a project. Complete beginners might need more time.

Anyway, identify what you want to teach, decide how to describe and demonstrate it and break down each step with an approximate timing. Leave yourself a little extra time, and in case they are all whizzes at it make sure you have another little technique up your sleeve you can share if you find yourself with 20 mins to spare and a group of people with finished items in their hands.

Maybe you could try approaching a local branch of the WI and see if they'd like to be your guinea pigs? It would be a good way of trying out your simpler ideas maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwillow View Post
    Maybe you could try approaching a local branch of the WI and see if they'd like to be your guinea pigs? It would be a good way of trying out your simpler ideas maybe?
    It's all good advice, but this last bit is a brilliant idea - make sure you ask for feedback because I'm sure it would be helpful.

Also, see whether you could observe another teacher/tutor in action - even if it's not exactly the same subject, you'll learn from watching an experienced teacher in action, especially if they can spend a little time with you before and after the session explaining what why and how they've planned their lessons.
    digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
    blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
    hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
    blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

fleursmummy is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

hi blackwillow, and thank you again for your detailed reply .. really helpful and love the idea of trying out on the WI, might try out on bunch of friends fist then approach the WI .. you seem to keep finding my posts, yes was me on SWK lol .. i have a lot of time on my hands at the mo, so trying to be productive!

thank you also wendy, good idea about watching someone else in action - i might actually book a fascinator workshop to see how they run them to get inspiration of course, not copy outright. there's one running in london in november and i would really like to learn one of her signature techniques so kill 2 birds with one stone

have all sorts of ideas, mat hatters or vintage tea party with my friend who makes amazing cupcakes - perhaps she could teach how to ice them, also millinery and makeup for hens, then kids parties etc

thanks again both x
    blooms & bows - hand made boutique accessories for the tiniest princess to the trendiest mum!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...23549057752787

AnnieAnna is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

I'm a teacher but my course was pants at teaching me to teach.
    First do it yourself writing down the steps you followed.
    Step back and see if you could have done something differently or better.
    Have another go.
    When you are happy look at each step and break that down. Imagine your pupil has never done anything. I once had a mum supervising 6 kids embroidering and she'd never threaded a needle before!
    Identify the steps 'normal' people might need a bit of practise with before attempting the real thing, and in your head have something up your sleeve that will help the duffers (sorry, crafting innocents). You need to think what you'll do if you have a cack hander sitting to a more crafty than you person.
    Then try it out on people. Children are good. They surprise you. You'll identify hiccups you hadn't thought of.
    Then run your course. You'll find you can streamline things but have those back up plans at the back of your mind.
    Watch the timings of each step. You'll need a strategy if things go too fast or too slow.
    Last thing to think of is what do you do while they are waiting to be able to pick their creation up, eg glue is drying, clay is hardening, metal is cooling down. I suggest tea, cakes and chatter is a good ploy . And how are they going to carry it home?

Thread Information