Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Default skills minister speaks passionately about craft

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Great speech by John Hayes last Wednesday full text on the blog below. Things really are changing. http://traditionalcraftsblog.blogspo...-heritage.html

bodrighy is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented. The idea of traditional crafts having apprentices is one that has been around for a while but seems never to have taken off as far as I know. Thatching for example has a dearth of skilled people as do some of the other crafts. I wish him well anyway.

pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Lets hope it's not all hot air and platitudes. Have been talking to him ourselves about apprentiships and vocational training being given the support and value akin to more traditionally recognised more formal subjects.

Time will tell.

Mo.XX
    Last edited by MornieG Jewellery; 14-05-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling AGAIN !!
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Quote Originally Posted by bodrighy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this is implemented. The idea of traditional crafts having apprentices is one that has been around for a while but seems never to have taken off as far as I know. Thatching for example has a dearth of skilled people as do some of the other crafts. I wish him well anyway.

pete
    Actually thatching is one craft that is approaching if not over capacity at the moment with more thatchers than work in many areas. That may change since one of the key thatching courses the NETS scheme at Hereford which trained 10 a year is closing.

Apprenticeship has often been a problem in traditional crafts because we tend to be small businesses or sole traders where the modern apprenticeship model fits medium to larger firms better. The minister and his team are aware of the issues and there is a genuine will to address them.
    We now have the ministers speech on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VguU...ature=youtu.be

bodrighy is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

That surprises me as certainly down here in Cornwall there are simply not enough to cope with the demand of work and I was under the impression that irt was the same in other parts of the country. Maybe it's a local thing. The thatcher I know was complaining that he couldn't get anyone to carry on his business when he retired as no-on was willing to be trained.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I think this sort of passion should be carried across the craft board, we cannot as a country afford to lose any skilled abilities being it even lowly sewing (I know that's what I do) but think it is also the quality that needs to be preserved, have seen from my point of view so much sewing now being done at fairs but the finish and attention to detail is just not there. I know I am a perfectionist and qualified and trained (which cost a lot of money) in what I do but does upset me when I see what is stitched up thrown on a table to sell, some of it is no better than the cheap imports in the shops. Rant over.

We seem to have an abundance of thatchers around, perhaps we should send then down to you Pete, I am sure they would not mind working in Cornwall for a few months, I wouldn't.

Thread Information