• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robin wood
    100+ crafts club
    • Nov 2008

HRH The Prince of Wales supports crafts

HRH The Prince of Wales shows his support for traditional crafts by becoming president of the Heritage Crafts Association.
    http://www.robin-wood.co.uk
  • bodrighy
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Mar 2009

That is good Robin. Can you clear something up for me though. As a wood turner who uses an electric lathe but tries to use as much locally sourced wood as possible I would class myself (hopefully not arrogantly) as a craftsman but never really felt that I merited being a part of something such as the 'Heritage Crafts Association. Where would the libe be drawn? Would I need to use a pole lathe or possibly a treadle lathe to be able to be regarded as a traditional crafter?I ask out of curiosity as feel a great deal of affinity with your work and association but also feel that somehow I wouldn't fit in.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

• robin wood
      100+ crafts club
      • Nov 2008

Heritage Crafts Association's remit is for crafts where the focus is on a high degree of hand skill and primarily functional products as apposed to the Crafts Council where the emphasis is on innovative ideas. We are not stuck in the past, traditional crafts have always moved with the times developing old skills and knowledge of materials to make things that folk wish to use today. So turning salad bowls on a power lathe is definitely within HCA's remit where turning "art" is aspiring to be within the Crafts Councils remit.

Comment

• HandyWoodcrafts
        Super crafter
        • Oct 2010

I would also like to ask the same as Pete and also add Does this heritage crafts association also cover Scotland, Wales and Ireland or is it and English based Association only? I remember another thread regarding this and if I remember correctly your research didn't include Scotland.

Drew
        Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
        our Facebook page
        follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

• bodrighy
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by robin wood View Post
          Heritage Crafts Association's remit is for crafts where the focus is on a high degree of hand skill and primarily functional products as apposed to the Crafts Council where the emphasis is on innovative ideas. We are not stuck in the past, traditional crafts have always moved with the times developing old skills and knowledge of materials to make things that folk wish to use today. So turning salad bowls on a power lathe is definitely within HCA's remit where turning "art" is aspiring to be within the Crafts Councils remit.
          Thanks for the reply Robin,
          I do a little of everything like most turners but my spe******m is focusing more and more on ironically turning traditional tools and equipment for other crafters especially in the fabric crafts. I am in the process of setting up a specific website for this sort of thing as opposed to the more 'normal' wood turning so maybe I would fall inside the criteria. It reflects my interest in crafts in general I suppose. Whilst I'd love to make and use a pole lathe I would only be able to use it outside which isn't practical all the time LOL.

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

• Critchley
            Super Moderator
            Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
            • Jun 2008

That is very good news Robin. I believe the resurgence of crafting is on the move. There appears to be more interest in buying 'Homespun' articles of soft furnishing for day to day living. Thanks for keeping us updated with Heritage Crafts.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• woodturningpat
              100+ crafts club
              • Jan 2011

If I have interpreted this correctly , the modern approach to woodturning which is mainly decorative /art would fall under the Crafts Council but items that are made on a lathe pole,treadle or electric modelled with natural material (not mdf or ply wood) by hand tools that are for a traditional functional use such as spinning spindles, kitchen utensils, and even tool handles are under the auspices of the HCA.
              In my opinion most woodturners these days would fall into the Crafts Council arena but you Pete do far more work on making tools for others (the original purpose of a woodturner?) than most, so I would say that you are a definite contender for the HCA

Robin I would appreciate being corrected if my interpretation is incorrect
              Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
              https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

• robin wood
                100+ crafts club
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
                I would also like to ask the same as Pete and also add Does this heritage crafts association also cover Scotland, Wales and Ireland or is it and English based Association only? I remember another thread regarding this and if I remember correctly your research didn't include Scotland.

Drew
                HCAs remit is and always has been UK wide. Having said that it was started and is run by voluntary committee members who are 8 England, 1 Wales and 1 Northern Ireland so it is fair to say there is currently an England bias. We will address this as time goes on but it it is our hobby (passion) done in our own time outside our craft businesses and travel costs too.

Originally posted by woodturningpat View Post
                If I have interpreted this correctly , the modern approach to woodturning which is mainly decorative /art would fall under the Crafts Council but items that are made on a lathe pole,treadle or electric modelled with natural material (not mdf or ply wood) by hand tools that are for a traditional functional use such as spinning spindles, kitchen utensils, and even tool handles are under the auspices of the HCA.
                In my opinion most woodturners these days would fall into the Crafts Council arena but you Pete do far more work on making tools for others (the original purpose of a woodturner?) than most, so I would say that you are a definite contender for the HCA

Robin I would appreciate being corrected if my interpretation is incorrect
                That is a reasonable summary and of course we all make a variety of work. I make functional bowls on a pole lathe but I also have a video installation touring art galleries int he USA. and occasionally do bits of sculpture. Many woodturners have aspired to make art objects because that is what has been viewed as the pinnacle of our profession my personal view is that it would be better if some of them concentrated instead on making good functional work and we are working hard to gain recognition for those that choose this route.

Comment

• bodrighy
                  • Mar 2009

Thanks Robin, that clears it up for me. My bread and butter work is definitely the functional side of turning and though I do like to make the more decorative work as well I can't say I do a lot of pure artistic stuff. Ironically I have a possible request to make a load of legs for stools, soon be almost a bodger LOL.

Pete
                  Facebook

Website

Comment

• HandyWoodcrafts
                    Super crafter
                    • Oct 2010

I appreciate all of what you and your team have done so far to make people aware of dieing trades and crafts and to have the patronage of Prince Charles is great. I wasnt disputing the bias part i was just curious if this was something that will become a national heritage scheme and if being part of it will be recognised within the craft industry and also outwith.

I like Pete use electric and mechanical tools but still see myself as a craftsperson, but like others I do a lot of decorative work however if the space and machinery was available i would love to spend my time turning large functional bowls. Glen Lucas seems to be the one for bowls and I guess I would aspire to be able to cope with his work remit.

I am also going to start trying to make large bowls using power carving tools I don't think i could cope with doing them au-natural and hand tools only.

Drew
                    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
                    our Facebook page
                    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Working...
                    X