• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robin wood
    100+ crafts club
    • Nov 2008

traditional crafts guardian article

Big article on traditional crafts from the Guardian online.

A campaign to save traditional skills, often kept alive by just one exponent, is being launched today
    http://www.robin-wood.co.uk
  • AnnieAnna
    Super mega big crafter
    • Nov 2008

I love the schools vision

But is anyone out there listening?

AnnieAnna

Comment

• TePe
      100+ crafts club
      • Aug 2009

My personal opinion is that we will never see any real move to fund the craft scene from the establishment.

As we on here are all craft orientated we tend to look at this through rose coloured glasses, where as in their hey day ’craft workers’ did it purely to earn a crust. There was nothing easy or glorious about it, and I’ve never read about any past craft worker who earned more than a subsistence wage from their endeavours.

As much as I agree with trying to keep the old crafts alive for future generations, unless you can make a good living from it I doubt it just ain’t gonna happen. Plus let’s be honest most craft skills are not really needed any more, unless it is things like thatching, stone walling, and so on, but even these could be replaced with better materials these days. They just don’t look so good to the nostalgic amongst us, of which I am unashamedly one.

Also as much as I hate to say it, I don’t think we are going to see the possibility of any cash help in the craft scene for at least the next couple of decades. Certainly not in the financial environment we are in now.
      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

• AnnieAnna
        Super mega big crafter
        • Nov 2008

Tam - I've watched the historical reenactment ...er...what to call it? ...movement? scene? grow over the past 15 years.
        I have visions of traditional crafting wanabees being paid to be caged in historic workhouses as interesting exhibits.
        (Don't knock it - I'm doing just that in museums and fields at the moment ).

Robin - I heard you on Radio 4 the other day! Your message is dripping into the nations brains. Keep up the good work.

AnnieAnna

Comment

• Critchley
          Super Moderator
          Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
          • Jun 2008

Looking at it from the more mercenery side, we are a small island, our crafts are part of our heritage, our heritage is a big part of our tourism industry which is, in turn a very large money pot in our overall income. What a shame we are still looked on as serfs by the powers that be.
          Last edited by Critchley; 18-05-2011, 04:55 PM.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• wood-u-like
            100+ crafts club
            • May 2010

Shouldn't we just let bygones be bygones and focus on the future. It is just turning Britain into a nostalgic ruritanian theme park and we want to be more than some heritage museum. LC

Comment

• AnnieAnna
              Super mega big crafter
              • Nov 2008

No! I've just bought Cyril Hobbins Tradional Toys book.
              I want to throw everything up in the air and become a traditional toy shop.
              The toys are brilliant!
              I love the Chileans (I think it's the Peruvians who make them actually. The Chileans cleverly sell them on to me.). Anyway they are still producing toys that were popular in Victorian England!
              AnnieAnna
              www.anniethepedlar.com
              www.littlechile.co.uk

Comment

• Critchley
                Super Moderator
                Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by wood-u-like View Post
                Shouldn't we just let bygones be bygones and focus on the future. It is just turning Britain into a nostalgic ruritanian theme park and we want to be more than some heritage museum. LC
                Of course we are more than ' some heritage museum' we are a very complex society.Taking our history forward with us doesn't stop us moving forward. Crafting is just a small part of the overall.
                Carol
                God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                X