Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mrs Sparrow is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Default Simmering granules

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Anybody know where to get plain simmering granules to colour & scent yourself?

Simmering granules are just basically salt granules like you get for water softeners or for dishwashers. I get mine from Tesco, but they must be the granules not the salt, if you get my drift

Really? Well don't they smell "salty" at all after you've fragranced them?
    Thinking about that, salt doesn't really have much of a smell does it!
    So I'm assuming that when its put into the burner the warming of the granules give off the scent, and they don't burn?

Yep that's right, salt doesn't smell. Just mix the liquid dye and FO thoroughly and leave it to dry out. Shouldn't take more than 24-48 hours to dry out.

They don't burn and they don't melt either. But you can smell them all over the house.

Any hints or tips on drying this out?
    I can't see that it will dry out completely because the scent added is oil based.
    I read on another forum about popping it in a low oven for 15 minutes. Here,s a tip, dont do that! After just a few minutes the scent was so over powering it made my eyes water & I had to open all windows and doors!
    Jane

What ratio of FO to granules did you use? I use a 2% ratio. That's twice as much as the one you get from AW or RH. My granules usually dry out in about 36 hours, 48 hours for some of the heavier oils.

Quote Originally Posted by girlyracer View Post
    What ratio of FO to granules did you use? I use a 2% ratio. That's twice as much as the one you get from AW or RH. My granules usually dry out in about 36 hours, 48 hours for some of the heavier oils.
    Ok, so I guess 5% is a tad too much then.
    No wonder it made my eyes water earlier. Good job I like lavender
    Thanks Ruby

Oh dear no wonder they're not drying out. All's not lost though. Try adding more salt to compensate, give it all a good mix and see what happens. The extra salt granules will soak up the excess FO.

As you said, good thing you like lavender 'cos you're going to end up with a lot of lavender simmering granules

Hello,

Apologies, I found this thread after posting my own about simmering granules.

"girlyracer" says use 2% Fragrance Oil? Fragrance Oil is in mls and salt in kg. Do you assume that 10ml of Fragrance Oil is 10g?

Also, how much colouring do you use, and do you mix colours to get one that is suitable?

Finaly, what is AW and RH?

Thanks in advance,
    Nicky

www.poshpongs.co.uk

Hi Nicky

In candlemaking all raw materials are best measured out in weight rather than using volume. The ratio is always the weight of the fragrance oil in relation to the wax, or in this case, salt for simmering granules. 10ml does not always weigh 10g as some oils are heavier than others hence why we chandlers stick weighing our ingredients.

AW is Ancient Wisdom and RH is Regent House. They are large wholesalers of simmering granules and other home fragrancing products. You've probably seen their products for sale at market stalls and craft and gift fairs.

I just prefer making my own to sell as then I can scent them to go with my range of handmade candles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information