Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

ALL NEW - Craft Articles

janiejakemum is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Default Caustic soda - uk

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi all

I have just found this site and thought i'd put up a post.

I have been looking around and gathering information for about 6 weeks now and have decided to take the plunge at CP soap making.

I have got a long list of internet sites for references, recipes and supplier lists. The only product i am so far struggling with is Caustic soda. I have found only one internet supplier which is just a soap. I was hoping to be able to buy it from a local supplier as i understand there are issues with it being sent through the post.

Can anyone tell me if i could buy it at a local shop - i am a bit concerned about buying drain cleaner unless i know its ok i would much rather buy the raw material from a chemist or cosmetic supplier.

It sounds a bit soppy really but im really excited about getting going and cant wait to try out some new soap.

Thanks for any help, looking forward to being a forum member here.

Emma

Trainlady is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Default Caustic soda

I usually get mine from The Soap Kitchen, but when I run out, B&Q or Focus sell it.

Good luck with the soaping!

Ewa

any good chemist will be able to order it in for you - if you get really stuck let me know as I work in a chemist and good post some to you.

Rosamundi is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

The easiest places to get caustic soda from locally are DIY, hardware shops, Wilkinsons and such like places, it's used as drain cleaner. Make sure that it contains no other ingredient though but it won't be 100% caustic soda (usually 95-98%). It's usually in white plastic 500g bottles in the cleaning section.

HTH

Thanks for all your replies..... so if i buy it from b & q or Wilkinsons what do i need to look for on the ingredients. Presumably it wont be 100% caustic, what is acceptable to use on skin and is it actually sold as drain cleaner?

Thanks again

soap queen is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

you can buy it in Boots - cheaper than DIY stores. It is sold as 'caustic soda' in the natural cleaning products area.

Rosamundi is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Quote Originally Posted by janiejakemum View Post
    Thanks for all your replies..... so if i buy it from b & q or Wilkinsons what do i need to look for on the ingredients. Presumably it wont be 100% caustic, what is acceptable to use on skin and is it actually sold as drain cleaner?
    Caustic Soda's chemical name is Sodium hydroxide, due it's nature it absorbs water and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and forms a "crust' of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) which is what the extra percentage bit is.

All you need to look out for on the bottles is Caustic Soda or Sodium hydroxide and nothing else.

Even if you buy it from special ist chemical companies you would normally use technical grade (the same as drain cleaner) for everyday usage and only the 100% stuff for very special ist usage (its also very expensive).

HTH
    Last edited by Rosamundi; 03-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Thumbs up

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I can get the stuff from boots or Wilko's then even though it states 98% on the bottle. I'll check on the label that there are no other additives but im sure i was told it lists no other ingredients.

Thanks again

Thread Information