• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littljn
    Junior crafter
    • Jan 2009

Curtain making course

I have made curtains for myself and would like to start a small business offering a curtain making service, however as I have had no formal training I feel it is important that I complete a professional curtain making course.

I live in Berkshire and am finding it difficult to find a course, all the ones I have found so far seem to be midlands based, which does not make it very easy for me. Can anyone recommend a course that is more local for me - I am not far from london so would consider travelling into London.

I have looked at the course run by the National Design Academy who offer Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings' Diploma which can be done as a 'home study' course with an initial 'get started' 1 day tutorial. Has anyone got any experience of this, would you recommend this, or is it better to attend a course in person?

As well as gaining experience on making curtains I am also looking for advice on starting up the business, so if the course covers this also that would be great - probably asking too much though!!!

Thank you

Jane
  • sharon
    100+ crafts club
    • Mar 2008

curtain making

Hi

If you are going to be doing curtains professionally I would definately recommend going on a course - there will be loads of questions you need answering & the other students will have questions that you hadn't even thought of. You'll also pick up shortcuts from the tutor as well. Look on it as re-training for a different career - a course lasting 2 to 4 days should cost between £180 - £360 plus B&B of about £30-40 per night. You may be able to claim the cost of travel, course fees & lodgings (but not meals) against your tax return.

I did soft furnishings professionally for about 6 yrs & am so glad I went on a course to learn the techniques hands-on rather from a book. You can use the books as back up.

I would recommend either CFF (Cambridge Fine Furnishings) or Merrick & Day for courses, & Merrick & Day's Encyclopedia of Curtains as a reference book. Be careful when you go on the courses that you don't go mad & buy loads of books - you don't need them!

Good Luck

Sharon

Comment

• Critchley
      Super Moderator
      Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
      • Jun 2008

Nice to see you here. Know what you mean about being professional. I make curtains for myself and friends - straight up and down ones but start talking about swags and thats me off. You will get some good advice here.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• knitnstitchsue
        100+ crafts club
        • Mar 2008

Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings Course from the National Design Academy

A friend completed it last year. She's been sewing for many years, but she said it taught her a lot.
        Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

• leannafowler
          Junior crafter
          • Jul 2011

i think its better to attend a course in person but if it doesn't fit your schedule then home study is a great option for you.
          Signature removed - not handmade

Comment

• Flamboyant
            Junior crafter
            • Oct 2009

curtain making course

Hi Jane, just stumbled upon your post and was wondering if were still interested in mastering how to make bespoke curtains. I deliver short, 1-2-1 classes at my London based home studio. I'm an experienced soft furnisher and have been in the industry for almost 18 years. If you would like to run a curtain making industry, then I can help you with the necessary skills and advice. Remember, I can tailor lessons to meet your requirements.
            Get in touch if you would like to discuss further

Best Wishes

Rosina

Originally posted by littljn View Post
            I have made curtains for myself and would like to start a small business offering a curtain making service, however as I have had no formal training I feel it is important that I complete a professional curtain making course.

I live in Berkshire and am finding it difficult to find a course, all the ones I have found so far seem to be midlands based, which does not make it very easy for me. Can anyone recommend a course that is more local for me - I am not far from london so would consider travelling into London.

I have looked at the course run by the National Design Academy who offer Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings' Diploma which can be done as a 'home study' course with an initial 'get started' 1 day tutorial. Has anyone got any experience of this, would you recommend this, or is it better to attend a course in person?

As well as gaining experience on making curtains I am also looking for advice on starting up the business, so if the course covers this also that would be great - probably asking too much though!!!

Thank you

Jane

Comment

• harpermagic
              Moderate crafter
              • Feb 2012

What basic equipment can you recommend for curtain making, going to give it a go

Comment

• Classical Genesis
                100+ crafts club
                • May 2008

Tools for curtain making

Content Deleted
                Last edited by Classical Genesis; 23-05-2017, 09:15 AM.
                Learning together for profit or pleasure
                I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Comment

• SofiaGmail
                  Banned
                  Junior crafter
                  • Sep 2022

Many courses have been started nowadays for the decoration of the home by the use of curtains.

Comment

Working...
                  X