Oak bark belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak bark belt

Well after some encouraging words from some lovely forum members i have decided to put up a picture of a belt i made two years ago. It was made at Bakers Tannerry in Devon and it is the last remaining tannery in the UK that still uses oak bark to tan their leather, it is without doubt the finest leather i have ever used. Mind you it needs to be strong leather to cope with the demands of my ever expanding waistline.

oaDLf42.jpg
    Last edited by oldhippy; 10-05-2019, 08:35 PM.

Looks fabulous and just shrieks quality and love

Linda

Comment

Thank you Linda, if i can ever afford it i want to buy a whole hide from Bakers tannery but it is not cheap.

Comment

Beautiful, great craftsmanship. Its so nice to have more people sharing their work.
        Shelley

Comment

Another lovely piece oldhippy (sorry, don't know your real name).

Do you sell your work online or in person anywhere?
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Hi George, my name is Andy, i need to start signing my name on my posts. Thank you for the kind words. But no i don't sell any of my work, i am just a hobby leathercrafter and don't really feel i am good enough to sell the things i make.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippy View Post
              Hi George, my name is Andy, i need to start signing my name on my posts. Thank you for the kind words. But no i don't sell any of my work, i am just a hobby leathercrafter and don't really feel i am good enough to sell the things i make.
              Hi Andy, I used to think like that, I’d got around 60 framed pieces of work stacking up in boxes doing nothing until one day I bit the bullet and with a good shove, (mainly from one of the kids setting me and my stuff up on FB for the first time......then telling me they had done it so I had to read feedback) got it all out there and it was the opposite to what I was expecting. If we listen to ourselves we will never be good enough, if feedback says you are then you must be. Always let the public be the judge.

Dave.

Comment

Hi Andy, I would repeat what Dave said. We are all our own biggest critics. Show off your work - what you have posted so far is very nice indeed.

Fred.

Comment

If we listen to ourselves we will never be good enough, if feedback says you are then you must be. Always let the public be the judge.
                  We are all our own biggest critics. Show off your work - what you have posted so far is very nice indeed.
                  So true - I'm another that was in the same situation (I make chutneys, jams, jellies etc etc). Problem is I can't taste my stuff because of dietary problems, but when customers come and seek you out at an event to buy more, or tell you how much they enjoyed what they had it certainly boosts confidence

If you have so many pieces of your work that the house is overflowing, and you think you could bear to part with any, then think about selling. Quality leatherwork is always in demand. I'm not sure whereabouts in the country you are, but there may be all sorts of events/platforms where your items would be very welcome - and of course, you can always ask questions on here if you would like advice and those of us who sell will be more than happy to give you the benefit of our experience.

Linda

Comment

I do give away many of the items i make as gifts to close family and friends but i have never thought about selling the things i make. I no longer work and tend to do my leathercrafting just for relaxation i also find it very therapeutic and calmong as i can be a bit of a worrier at times. I think i am happy just making things for the joy it brings me. I do however appreciate all the posotive comments you guys have made suggesting my work would be good enough to sell. Take care all.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippy View Post
                      I do give away many of the items i make as gifts to close family and friends but i have never thought about selling the things i make. I no longer work and tend to do my leathercrafting just for relaxation i also find it very therapeutic and calmong as i can be a bit of a worrier at times. I think i am happy just making things for the joy it brings me. I do however appreciate all the posotive comments you guys have made suggesting my work would be good enough to sell. Take care all.

Andy
                      Fair enough! I only sell mine because otherwise the planet would be buried under jars of preserves (most of which I can't eat for various reasons). I don't sell my textile work which I do just for the joy of making

Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X