Fimo Disaster!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo Disaster!!

Bravely attempted to use Fimo for the first time last night. I'd bought a new baking tray for the occassion (£1 from Matalan) and had a good think about what I wanted to make.

Decided to make some little feet (Caketopper made me some a while ago which are great!) so got about making them. Got the fimo soft enough and created dinky little feet with cute toes. Made 8 pairs.

Then baked them. Husband failed to mention (although he thought it hillarious afterwards and will no doubt remind me of it for a number of years to come) that the oven is fan assisted. And I am no domestic goddess (I burn fish fingers).

So what I hoped would be pale flesh coloured feet have turned out quite suntanned. Not got a photo to share as I was loosing the will to live at that point.

I also used some greaseproof paper to stop shiny spots and from the fimo sticking to the tray. The greaseproof paper broke up when I took the feet off the tray when cool and its all stuck to the back of them. Maybe I should not have used greaseproof paper that I bought back in 1993....

Is it a simple case of having the oven too hot? I baked for just over 20 mins.......

Yes it does sound as if the oven was a bit too hot! Shame when so much work and effort is put into something and it goes wrong!

I don't like using greaseproof paper or a baking tray! I always use glass as I have found this best for me. In fact I use those glass place mats but any glass (long as its not bobbly) will do!

You can even place a sheet of glass on top of your baking tray!

What was the setting on your oven?

Pauline
    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Ow I hate that. I have little accidents with my cooker too.

I wash out my moulds and dry them off in a low oven so you don't get blemishes on them. Now when you use the metal moulds no problem what temp you use. I had washed a couple of my round ball moulds (polycarbonate of course). I set the oven to low went away and faffed about doing something else and forgot about them. The kids came in from school and wanted dinner so turned the oven up to warm up(why I didn't twig it was on for a reason is beyond me) - only remembered the moulds were in the oven when the smell hit me. Instead of 4 semicirular mould halves I had what looked like 4 silicone breast implants - needless to say I haven't done that again.

Sorry nothing worse when you put a whole lot of time and effort into something.

Cheers.

Lisa
      Bowed Over
      Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
      www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Yes it does sound as if the oven was a bit too hot! Shame when so much work and effort is put into something and it goes wrong!

I don't like using greaseproof paper or a baking tray! I always use glass as I have found this best for me. In fact I use those glass place mats but any glass (long as its not bobbly) will do!

You can even place a sheet of glass on top of your baking tray!

What was the setting on your oven?

Pauline
        Ah glass! I think I'd be more dangerous with that to be honest!

Not sure of the setting on the oven - it was pointing down as if at 6 (on a clock) so probably around 170degrees in a fan oven... Husband gleely pointed out he'd have done them at 150 max.......

I like the silicone implants Lisa - I'll have to remember that one!!!

Comment

Ooops!

I know nothing of Fimo, but I do bake. It's like feeding the 5000 sometimes. I never touch greaseproof as it does stick to everything. Silicone coated baking parchment is what I use....Brilliant stuff.

My sister made her very first pavlova on Christmas Eve ready for Christmas Day pud. The shape was perfect, she was thrilled, only to have it stick to the greaseproof, and shatter when she tried to separate them.

Only thing I use greaseproof for is paper patterns!

Could you, perhaps, paint your wee feet to save wasting them?

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts
          www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I never have my temperature any higher than 130c and everything is baked for at least 30 minutes.....longer for larger pieces.

I use a toaster oven which is in my craft room because its not really recommended that you use an oven for fimo and food...but little bits I guess would do no harm.

My figurines are cooked in different stages and sometimes can be in the oven for up to 5 times as I add bits to it and I never change the heating dial on my oven.

Pauline

Comment

Thank you for all your advice!

130degrees it is - no greaseproof paper and I'll do them for a bit longer too (they were a bit squidgy on the underside!) and I'll keep them as ethnic feet to remind me of my 'cooking' experiences!

I'm only going to be doing the odd bit here and there so I think I'll be ok with the oven. If it progresses into anything else I'll look at getting a toaster oven!!

Shant be doing any 'proper' cooking - not my department!!

Comment

For a fan oven, you should reduce the recommended temperature by 10 degrees.

I think I have fimo baking instructions at home somewhere, I shall see if I can dig them out and scan them in for you - I am aware that the packets of fimo don't have instructions on them. Fimo should be able to go in the oven loads of times as bits are added, so I would agree with above posts that you baked them too hot and for too long
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

According to the FIMO website oven-hardened modelling material should be baked at 110°C, so 100°C in a fan assisted.

http://www.fimo.com/FIMO_eng.EBERHAR...ActiveID=16839

HTH
                  Debs

My website: www.debeadz.co.uk

My blog: www.debeadz.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Debeadz View Post
                    According to the FIMO website oven-hardened modelling material should be baked at 110°C, so 100°C in a fan assisted.

http://www.fimo.com/FIMO_eng.EBERHAR...ActiveID=16839

HTH
                    The 110 is for the new stock. there is still some old stock around which had a 130 (where is the degree sign thingy?)
                    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                      The 110 is for the new stock. there is still some old stock around which had a 130 (where is the degree sign thingy?)
                      You get the ° sign by holding down the ALT key and typing 0176 from the number pad
                      Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debeadz View Post
                        You get the ° sign by holding down the ALT key and typing 0176 from the number pad

oooo you clever thing!!! °°°°° I can do it!!!!
                        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                          oooo you clever thing!!! °°°°° I can do it!!!!
                          I'm glad it works for you

You learn lots of typing short cuts when being a secretary
                          Debs

Comment

°°°° me too!!!!

I think my fimo is the new stuff so I'll go with 110°c and I will check often that they are not suntanned. And if I'm happy with them, I'll take a photo and let you see!!

Been thinking about what you said Jules re painting the burnt ones.... was thinking of making some little foam flip flops and painting white tan lines where the flip flops would be on the feet, mounting them on a nice bit of card with the caption of 'Tan lines - who needs them'...

whatdya think?!!!

Comment

I think thats a great idea!!!

And for somebody who works with fimo a lot, how come I never knew there was a new fimo out??? I only got some last week as well!!!

I best get myself doing some research here!

Pauline

Comment

Working...
                              X