Two felt pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two felt pots

They are so different you wouldn't think they were both made from wool!
    One is cobweb felt and one is 'regular' felt.
    If anyone wants to have a go at making the one pictured on the stones, there's a free tutorial on our blog.
    Attached Files
    Annie and Lyn
    www.rosiepink.typepad.co.uk

These are so cool and I really don't need another hobby. BUT I'm checking out the local farms to see who sells wool or is it roving. I did a little reading about felting a while ago but never gave it a try. I'd really like to try the bowl on the stones. Was just on your site again and think I'll try the felted soap before attempting the bowl. Is wool roving the same in UK and US? Do I have to ask for something special or if I just tell them it's for felting and they will the know.
    Last edited by Billieanne; 22-04-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Ooh, they are nice. Off to look at your blog, though I don't think I am allowed to let myself try something new! I wasn't supposed to start knitting and I did. oops!
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by Billieanne View Post
        These are so cool and I really don't need another hobby. BUT I'm checking out the local farms to see who sells wool or is it roving. I did a little reading about felting a while ago but never gave it a try. I'd really like to try the bowl on the stones. Was just on your site again and think I'll try the felted soap before attempting the bowl. Is wool roving the same in UK and US? Do I have to ask for something special or if I just tell them it's for felting and they will the know.
        Trying the soap first is a good idea, also have a go at the flat felt tutorial before trying the pod. The wool we use for felting is called 'Merino Wool Tops' - basically it's wool from merino sheep, washed, carded, combed and dyed. All the hard work is done and we can just enjoy felting! This photo shows you what it looks like.
        Also here's a link to a shop in the US.
        http://www.feltingsupply.com/store/e...tml&Itemid=133
        Attached Files
        Annie and Lyn

Comment

Beautiful love the colours x

Comment

Originally posted by indri View Post
            Ooh, they are nice. Off to look at your blog, though I don't think I am allowed to let myself try something new! I wasn't supposed to start knitting and I did. oops!
            Oh this is funny, I've got pine cones drying outside so I can electroform them tomorrow, there's a card project on the kitchen table that needs to dry and I'm leaving for school in a few minutes to learn something new to do with metal.

Comment

Originally posted by rosiepinkStudio View Post
              Trying the soap first is a good idea, also have a go at the flat felt tutorial before trying the pod. The wool we use for felting is called 'Merino Wool Tops' - basically it's wool from merino sheep, washed, carded, combed and dyed. All the hard work is done and we can just enjoy felting! This photo shows you what it looks like.
              Also here's a link to a shop in the US.
              http://www.feltingsupply.com/store/e...tml&Itemid=133
              Thanks, I'll add to my favorites so I can look when I get home from school. In the picture it looks like one long strip of wool, do you pull it apart. I'll take a better look when I get home tonight. Guess you'll all be asleep by then.

Comment

Thanks, I'll add to my favorites so I can look when I get home from school. In the picture it looks like one long strip of wool, do you pull it apart. I'll take a better look when I get home tonight. Guess you'll all be asleep by then.

Yes, wool tops usually come in one long length. To separate a length away, grip it as shown in the photo, with your hands 18-23cms (7-9”) apart, then start to pull - very slowly - if you pull too fast the wool will fight you and be difficult to separate.

Annie and Lyn

Comment

Gorgeous I really love what you do
                  Science has it's place but nothing is quite like letting your imagination fly

Comment

Thank you for the information. Love the colors of the wools on the web site you gave me. I also found a farm not far from me that teaches felting so I'll give them a call tomorrow.
                    Originally posted by rosiepinkStudio View Post

Yes, wool tops usually come in one long length. To separate a length away, grip it as shown in the photo, with your hands 18-23cms (7-9”) apart, then start to pull - very slowly - if you pull too fast the wool will fight you and be difficult to separate.

Comment

I just received a shipment of wool from the shop in the US that you posted the link for. They were very fast in shipping. I also found a farm not far from me that teaches felting. I have my first class Monday, May 6. She has sheep and sells their wool so looks like I'll have tons of wool to play with.

Comment

I just received a shipment of wool from the shop in the US that you posted the link for. They were very fast in shipping. I also found a farm not far from me that teaches felting. I have my first class Monday, May 6. She has sheep and sells their wool so looks like I'll have tons of wool to play with.
                        Oooh - you are going to have fun. It's much better learning with other people, but be warned, felting is addictive....there's no going back.
                        Keep in mind that there are several ways of achieving the same result, so read/watch any free tutorials you can find (Terri does some wonderful free youtube felting videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJElDl95Cw0) experiment and find the ways that work for you.
                        Annie and Lyn

Comment

Annie & Lyn, I had my class today and it was so much fun. She raises Lincoln's and another breed (still excited and can't remember). I tried making a felted soap over the weekend so I could get an idea what it was like before I went. The merino wool she gave me to use was nothing like the merino wool that I bought. Her's pulled apart just like your's did in the felted soap tutorial on your blog. The wool I bought was "clumpy". I don't know how to describe it. It didn't pull apart. Anyway, I wanted to thank you for all the information. I made a felted soap and a light weight neck scarf in my first class. These was so fast and easy to make.......and very simple. I've got my second class in 2 weeks for another scarf design. Maybe next month I'll try felted bags. I'm so excited! Thanks again.

Comment

What a good job you took a class! If you hadn't gone, your felting fun may have ended before it had begun.

How about showing your tutor the wool you bought that was 'clumpy' - wonder if it was uncarded?

It sounds as if you've been bitten by the felting bug, so enjoy it.
                            Annie and Lyn

Comment

I'm going to take the wool I bought with me next time. When I described what it looked like she said it sounded like it was drum carded from how it was folded. But it's not in line like your's and her's.

Comment

Working...
                              X