Christmas tree decorations, primitive style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas tree decorations, primitive style

I have made a few of these while I've been laid up with my shoulder. I wanted a simple, primitive style in bold colours, and had to work on my lap ( I can't yet sit at the table without aching).

I was carefully watched by two dogs. They thought it might be something edible.

I just used felt I had in, and a mixture of sequins, beads and embroidery thread/crewel wool from my sewing box. I made the bead danglies on some of them out of polished stone beads which were originally on a really awful necklace I bought for 50p from a charity shop to break up for the individual beads.

I'm now banned from sewing/cardmaking for a while until the shoulder heals properly: apparently the fine movement will aggravate the pulled muscle. Oh well. I suppose I could sort my stash.....carefully!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/Blueanneke/HeartsAplenty1.jpg
    Primmers
    www.ExquisiteCards.etsy.com

They are lovely - now stop crafting, put your feet up and let that shoulder heal!!!

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I will inna bit, Lisa.

My dad is coming over at some stage today. I wanted to plant up my winter baskets for the house, and have all the things: the compost, the liners, the PLANTS - but I can't haul them about.

Good ole dad is coming to do them for me, and all the payment he requires is a never-ending supply of tea and bacon sandwiches.

He's also a wonderfully organised man - I didn't inherit that- and if I asked nicely would help sort the stash. And he'd do it better than me.

I quite liked the hearts: they were just an idea, really, to keep my hands occupied while I'm laid up. I didn't want them sophisticated, or ornate.
      Primmers

Comment

They are really pretty - have you thought about doing scented ones, although you aren't allowed to do any until your shoulder heals!
        Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
        My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
        My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I think they are lovely, love the basic simplicity of them, and agree with Swirly would be great scented!! Poor thing with your shoulder,hope it heals soon!!
          Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

I hadn't thought of scented ones, although it would be easy enough to tuck in a bit of scented stuffing.
            Things like cinnamon, cloves and so on - all the Christmas smells. Lovely idea, thank you!

As I'm redundant for today - dad is outside wrapped up warm and doing my baskets for me: he has politely refused to help with the stash-sort - I could start scented ones perhaps early next week....
            Primmers

Comment

These are really nice. Well done. Now you have to rest that shoulder.

Cheers Janice
              www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

Planning Ahead....

...for more summery times, and for when your shoulder is much better; why not do spring/summer or bedroomy type coloursand make them scented?

I love the ones you've done. Sadly, I am banned from buying Christmas decs as (apparently) I have far far too many. Personally, I'm not sure too many decs is possible....it just can't be.

Have slyly agreed to the ban as I bought loads from Panduro earlier on in the year when Himself wasn't thinking about Christmas.... and of course, little decs fit nicely (and quickly) into a handbag so can't be seen when I've bought them.....!!

Jules
                Apple Tree Crafts
                www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

And you did those whilst in pain??!!

I agree with the summery thing and they would look good on a card too!

Comment

They are lovely, wish I could just churn something out while sat on the sofa, get better soon!
                    Cake Toppers http://huntersdesigns.co.uk
                    My etsy http://peculiarforest.etsy.com
                    My Blog http://peculiarforest.blogspot.com

Comment

Apple Tree, you're a girl after my own heart. You can NEVER have too many Christmas decorations. Never.

Himself always grumbles if I find and buy more, but my excuse is that our daughters, both grown up and with homes of their own, can't afford to buy themselves enough decorations yet, so they can have our old ones and we'll have the new ones. Do they ever get our old ones? Do they cocoa. Can they afford to buy enough? No, not really, but they do!

And as you say, they are small and easily hidden away from husbandly eyeballs. Nevertheless he does look at me a bit suspicious-like when the four boxes of stuff he put away in the attic last year have miraculously bred into four and a half, or five!

I doubt if he'll say or look anything this year. My lovely old mum died on 14th September, and quite frankly she was glad to go. She had been ill for a year. She truly loved Christmas, and would get as excited as a child. When we were little, and mum and dad had no money, she would spend hours making things to decorate the house and the tree (laways a real tree, and I have a real one too) and for our presents. This will be our first Christmas without her physical presence, and I don't think Himself will find it in his heart to remonstrate about a few baubles and things.

Mum was a lovely seamstress, and I can't remember not being able to sew.She taught me when I was tiny: I can't remember not knowing the basic engineering of a garment: she also made dolls, teddies, dolls' clothes, baby clothes.....she loved the clean simple lines of today's modern toddlers' togs, and would often just have a mooch in the shops to see them.

Making the hearts and some other bits and bobs didn't cause me any pain - I was told to stop using the arm and shoulder by a bossy daughter! The shoulder is painful anyway, but no more when I was sewing than not.
                      Primmers

Comment

awww those are cute!!! and I also love the idea of using christmas scents in them!!

Ouch, I hope your shoulder is certainly a lot better now, and yaaaa for your 'bully' daughter telling you rest it!!!!

Pauline
                        Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

these are very beautiful. I like that your dogs were watching you! My dog couldn't care less when I am stitching...
                          Hope you'll get better soon
                          www.Yiotas-XStitch.com
                          Fine art & Victorian cross stitch patterns. Freebies available.

Comment

Bless....

Originally posted by Primmers View Post
                            Apple Tree, you're a girl after my own heart. You can NEVER have too many Christmas decorations. Never.

I doubt if he'll say or look anything this year. My lovely old mum died on 14th September, and quite frankly she was glad to go. She had been ill for a year. She truly loved Christmas, and would get as excited as a child. When we were little, and mum and dad had no money, she would spend hours making things to decorate the house and the tree (laways a real tree, and I have a real one too) and for our presents. This will be our first Christmas without her physical presence, and I don't think Himself will find it in his heart to remonstrate about a few baubles and things.

Mum was a lovely seamstress, and I can't remember not being able to sew.She taught me when I was tiny: I can't remember not knowing the basic engineering of a garment: she also made dolls, teddies, dolls' clothes, baby clothes.....she loved the clean simple lines of today's modern toddlers' togs, and would often just have a mooch in the shops to see them.
                            Luckily I still have my mum, but it sounds like both our mums would have had a lot in common. My mum taught me most of what I know and I too cannot remember ever being not able to sew. Which is odd because my older sister doesn't sew at all....she's still very creative though.

Have Christmas for your Mum - she'd be very proud of you carrying on old traditions for your daughters.

Jules
                            Apple Tree Crafts
                            www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

Working...
                            X