Disastrous first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disastrous first attempt

I saw a guide on how to make "torched candles" so I gave it a go...

...complete disaster.

Photo0401.jpgPhoto0399.jpg
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

Whats a torched candle? I rather love the colourings of the second candle, looks like one of my marble cakes when I get excited with the food colouring.

KayleighAnn
    My Homemade Life

Or at least the early beginnings

Comment

It's basically a candle that's been dipped in several colours to build up different coloured layers, then it's attacked by a blow torch or heat gun to melt away parts of the outer layers. The guide is at http://www.onestopcandle.com/candle/torched.php if you want to read the full guide.
      Stephen

Comment

Ooh, sounds complicated but I am sure when you master the technique it will be brilliant. Are you going to keep trying?
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I may keep trying. A few things that are against me are that soy wax melts at lower temperatures while the minimum setting on my heat gun is 150C, and that when the candle cools, I'm getting some ugly looking blooming in some parts.
          Stephen

Comment

I used to have a friend long ago who was a waxster. He achieved almost exactly the same effect by using a knife to take a slice off the side of the candle whilst the wax was still warm and pliable and then dipped it in a single layer of clear wax to give it a smooth finish. You would have to experiment with how cool you let the candle get before trying this ( I seem to remember him saying just warmer than body temp) but this not only gave a crisper finish to the "bullseye" but also means that you dont have to worry about using a blowtorch anywhere near a flammable candle! Give it a try and let me know!

Ash
            Asking me to make you a shelf is like asking Michealangelo to creosote your fence.

http://www.woodsweatandtrees.co.uk

Comment

Looks nice really! I would'nt say it was a disastrous attempt, I mean there is only so much detail one can do really with a BLOW TOURCH lol.
              A whole world of crafts, cardmaking and scrapbooking. Welcome to Craft World!

(NOTE: Designers currently wanted!)

Comment

What about just holding it further away...? Ah it looks like fun at least, don't think my other half will let me near a blow torch though haha
                My Homemade Life

Or at least the early beginnings

Comment

Holding it further away just melts the entire candle th_laughing-smiley-007.jpg
                  Stephen

Comment

Working...
                  X