Latest project - Bernard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest project - Bernard

What's 10'6" tall, 19' long - three quarters wood, one quarter metal and only does 15 miles to the gallon?

Bernard. And every year we have to do a load of work on him to get him ready for the shows, (he's our mobile workshop). This week we're soda blasting, washing and painting to try and make him look good again, but we really need two new wings and welding to the bottoms of the doors. Anybody here any good at welding? The ramp needs to be taken apart and rebuilt, the glass fibre roof needs stripping and repainting then there are half a dozen or so mahogany planks that need to be removed and replaced......no rush, we're at a rally with him on Sunday!!! Wish he still looked like this, but that was six years ago and we'd just spent 800 hours on him.

www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

He looks great and I'm sure you will get him looking pristine again. I would love to see some pictures of the interior to see how you converted a horsebox into a home/workshop.

Drew
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
      He looks great and I'm sure you will get him looking pristine again. I would love to see some pictures of the interior to see how you converted a horsebox into a home/workshop.

Drew
      Thanks Drew, I wish I had your confidence, we're not getting anywhere very fast at the moment. There are some pics of the inside here and some of us using him at a show here. Owning one of these is not for the faint hearted, but having living space alongside your working area works really well when you do a three or more day show. I'll post up some more pics on the blog as the latest batch of work progresses.....

Comment

Don't know how you find the time with everything else Kim LOL He will look like that again one day, as long as he does the job and keeps the rain out for the moment. Bit of a thirsty old boy though, don't envy you that.

Have a good show this weekend.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Ah. Lovely old thing. Is he road tax exempt yet.
          Carol
          God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I remember watching a video of you soda blasting him before, the interior is just great with all that reused furniture. I think its great how you have given it a new use and the pictures of it at the event look great. Does it still have a concrete floor from when used as a horse box? That must cause a lot of fuel drinking from the old man. I would think it would be tax exempt by now. I guess my confidence comes from the fact im not the one doing the work on it so I can afford to be optamistic.

Drew
            Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
            our Facebook page
            follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
              Don't know how you find the time with everything else Kim LOL He will look like that again one day, as long as he does the job and keeps the rain out for the moment. Bit of a thirsty old boy though, don't envy you that.

Have a good show this weekend.

Mo.XX
              Thanks Mo, but I think we'll run out of prep time - again! It's raining today, so no chance of doing much.

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
              Ah. Lovely old thing. Is he road tax exempt yet.
              I wish he was Carol but believe it or not he's too young, a mere boy at the age of 31! The government left the exemption thing at 1972, so he doesn't qualify.

Originally posted by HandyWoodcrafts View Post
              I remember watching a video of you soda blasting him before, the interior is just great with all that reused furniture. I think its great how you have given it a new use and the pictures of it at the event look great. Does it still have a concrete floor from when used as a horse box? That must cause a lot of fuel drinking from the old man. I would think it would be tax exempt by now.

Drew
              The floor is kerowan and the overall weight is still something like 4 tons. Mind you, the wood is almost an inch thick and we added about 150 kilos to the weight by building the inside living area. The engine's the real problem, petrol 6 cylinder, no overdrive - sounds great, but couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding without a gallon of juice.

We're looking forward to meeting the folks on Sunday, there will only be about 130 of us and the visitors will be old truck fans. There are at least two other older horseboxes there plus loads of other commercials and it's organised by a friend of ours. Hoping to get some good tips for restoration!

Comment

Good luck with Bernard! He still looks good for his age...
                Pia from Sweden
                No homepage yet...

Comment

What a beauty... a gorgeous vehicle made the same year as me

Looks like you've done a wonderful job on the restoration, though I can see why it would be an ongoing project to keep the old boy in top condition. Definitely must draw in the crowd at events, would be lovely to see the Bernard's photo-history so I'm sure that is something which many other people are keen to see too.

Well done on another superb project!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craftprincess View Post
                    Good luck with Bernard! He still looks good for his age...
                    Thank you Pia, he's not doing too badly really I suppose!

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
                    What a beauty... a gorgeous vehicle made the same year as me

Looks like you've done a wonderful job on the restoration, though I can see why it would be an ongoing project to keep the old boy in top condition. Definitely must draw in the crowd at events, would be lovely to see the Bernard's photo-history so I'm sure that is something which many other people are keen to see too.

Well done on another superb project!!
                    Thank you Fluffy! Born in 1980 too....must have been a good year!! People do like to see him at the shows, they're usually more interested in the recycled living bit, although most of the men want to know about the engine size and all that. I think there are a few "clones" now, we see three or four sets of people every year who are creating a similar set up for themselves. It's nice to think you have inspired someone to do something but we always warn them that if you're going to do something like this you have to be totally committed, have endless patience and preferably deep pockets, (we fail on all three points!) It's nothing like owning an estate car and a caravan!

If you want to see more photos there are some on the blog. I'll be putting a post up tomorrow because we've just collected him from the doctor's.....two more niggly problems ticked off the list, we now know how much petrol we have and finally the engine is chaging the battery, yippee! Just got the rest to do now.

Comment

Bernard looks lovely there in that photo! I'm sure all the hard work will pay off!!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                      X