No announcement yet.

Woodwork 101...I must have skipped it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodwork 101...I must have skipped it!

Hi all!

I am in need of some assistance...

I have a new challenge, to make a larger than life, wooden guitar to mount on the front of a building. I know what I want it to look like, the thing that's sticking me right now is the type of wood to use.

I need to find something cheap and sturdy that can withstand the elements, or at least something cheap that I can coat in some sort of weather proofing paste.

Any ideas??

The best wood is probably marine ply but it wouldn't be cheap. It would need to be well sealed as well. How big is larger than life?

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Comment

Marine Ply would be the best as Pete said, but if you want something cheaper you could try HDF board and coat it to death in Yacht Varnish or similar.

Mo.XX
      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
      www.bodrighy.co.uk
      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
        Marine Ply would be the best as Pete said, but if you want something cheaper you could try HDF board and coat it to death in Yacht Varnish or similar.

Mo.XX
        Careful Mo that's the 2nd time you have agreed with me today. Sunstroke?

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
          Careful Mo that's the 2nd time you have agreed with me today. Sunstroke?

Pete
          Don't think so, my table was in the barn, you were outside in the sun. Maybe I was preoccupied and thinking of something else when I was rash enough to agree with you in public. Must be careful they will think we actually get on if I'm not careful LOL

Mo.XX
          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
          www.bodrighy.co.uk
          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Sweet!

The Yacht varnish sounds pretty sturdy, above all its weatherproofing the thing that I'm worried about.

How thick would HDF be?

Comment

I'm not used to this site so it's taken me a while to find my own post! Haha, hence the slow reply. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it

Comment

Working...
              X