Fed up with me yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up with me yet?

Yet again something different. We use coasters but have run out (don't ask) and so I decided to make some. The stand is from the original ones and I will make my own in wood if I do more. Question is should I? These would also be easy to make in a plain wood for pyrography if anyone thinks that would work, for my Sue and anyone else. They are pretty quick and easy to make so I can do them at a fairly low cost though at the moment I haven;'t a clue what I could sell them for.

Opinions, ideas etc please.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Coasters have a regular 'gift' slot anywhere you look so I think plain or with pyro people would buy them As for price don't ask me!! lol I'm rubbish with pricing

cj
    www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
    Become a facebook fan
    Check out my blog

Comment

Can you get fed-up of looking at beautiful things? That stand is very attractive. Would you stick baize on the bottom of them if you made some.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

They're gorgeous - what pretty wood. Maybe L18?

I think they're so pretty just as they are, but maybe a simple pyro design that would be etched into the wood a good bit to help with glass release? For some reason, my glass always holds on to the coaster and you don't realize until it's half way to your mouth, and then the coaster drops off...but maybe over there you don't have iced drinks as much as we do here. The glasses are always so wet with condensation that the glass sticks to the coaster. Your climate is milder so maybe it's not as big of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
          Can you get fed-up of looking at beautiful things? That stand is very attractive. Would you stick baize on the bottom of them if you made some.
          Ain't that typical I didn't make the stand. It's from the old coasters and I have used it just to see what they looked like stacked. I'll make a stand similar though all wood. I could put baize on the bottom I suppose, They can slide around a bit though then. Mind you, save sanding the bottom off so easier and quicker. Must look up cost though.

These are made of yew and I wouldn't want to pyro them. I was thinking of a plain wood for pyro work, letting the boss loose on them. Little dragons on them or fairies, toadstools, something like that.

Pete
          Last edited by bodrighy; 21-09-2010, 10:37 PM.
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

These are lovely Pete. A lady I know sells coasters - she's a photographer and has her own pics printed onto manufactured coasters. She charges £2.50 each, but I think that's quite cheap as she doesn't make much profit on it. Another lady I know makes glass ones and charges £6 each.
            Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
            http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
            http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

They are lovely as they are, coasters are always a great gift idea too!
              Blog
              http://minervascrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Definitely have a go at making a stand - and see how it looks as a set. Coasters are - as everyone else has said, quite a popular gift item, just please make sure they're a sensible size :P We have some wooden ones (not handmade) but they're so weeny that a mug sort of balances on top of the rim instead of sitting in them nicely - so you have to use them upside down!

Pricewise I'm not sure, which isn't terribly helpful - but of course, if they were decorated or even personalised (time to involve the mrs??), then they'd be even more attractive and valuable
                --Matt

Web Development
                Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

I think they are lovely, and I'm sure they would sell. I agree yew is such a pretty wood that pyro would ruin them, but plain wood would look lovely with a pattern.

Melanie

Comment

nice item, is it wood product?
                    Bird Conservation | DU Unlimited | Carving | Delta Waterfowl

Comment

Working...
                    X