Something diffferent ....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something diffferent ....again

Whenever I am asked to make something that I don't normally do I am trying to make several so that I have some in stock. I had been asked to make a bangle for someone so I made some others a couple of days later (OK so I forgot at the time)

These are all made of yew and are smaller than they should be at between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4" inner diameter. OK for kids or people with small hands. I need to do some more larger ones. As there are so many people making jewelery on here I would be interested in feedback from the experts in this field. I have done a few pieces of jewellery in wood but not really got into it, ear rings and pendants as I don't really know whether they would sell or not.

Pete

This is the one I made to order. This one is in oak
    Last edited by bodrighy; 20-09-2010, 11:44 PM.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

I'm no jewellery expert but - if they fit my wrist and aren't too heavy - I would absolutely wear these they are gorgeous.

Comment

They are absolutely beautiful! I think I need one of these! I am a bangle addict and love wooden jewellery....

I have been looking for a wooden ring but can't seem to find that many about, I also have some wooden earrings that I adore.
      Blog
      http://minervascrafts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pete they are lovely!!
        Chris xx
        My Website
        My Blog

Comment

Hiya,

I think with wooden jewellery for me its all about the weight but these are lovely - what kind of wood would give you both the strength and be lightweight enough to turn these ?

Francesca
          * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
          Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Thank you all.

These are made of yew which is pretty strong. Also has the gorgeous markings. Most woods should be suitable except some of the pines. Weight would not be too much of a problem unless they are made thick and wide. I have tried to get a balance and the boss has nicked one so can't be too bad
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Lovely, lovely, lovely...... I'd wear one and I don't "do" jewellry. Think you've got a winner there Pete.
              www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

I especially like the first one as it's so unusual, I think these will be a big hit.

Comment

I'm not particularly a bangle person, but I do like the one on the second row very much, although they are all very nice.

Linda

Comment

What lovely feedback thank you all. I better get making some that will fit you lot I've put these in my shop for £7.50, does that sound about right (I.m not touting, I haven't a clue regarding jewellery and research finds them from £2 to £102)

Pete
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

I'm not a fan of the customer made one, but like 2 and 4 in the top row. I like th simplicity of them. I would think these would be really popular in the summer with the whole tribal ethic thing, that would fit in well. I have small wrists so those ones would be great for me!
                      The price sounds ok to me. I have bangles from accessorize, metal though that have been £8 each for that size.
                      Could u make thinner ones and do a set of three in different wood types? Just an idea, I know nothing about wood.
                      http://handcraftedbykayleigh.blogspot.com/

Comment

Those are really beautiful! Just lovely. I can't abide bangles clattering on my arms, or I'd buy one, really. Price sounds fine, very saleable.

If you have the patience, tiny bits of wood spindleturned make lovely drop earrings and pendants. Teardrop shapes, fancy shapes like the middles of balustrades, etc - yo can drill the top, or there are findings designed for stones that they'll glue into.

And rounds with curves turned into the front look good as pendants - I saw a beautiful one once that looked like the pattern you get when you freeze-frame a drip into water, if you know what I mean.

Plus, of course if you add pyro, then a plain flat disc with a decorative raised rim can be pyro'd with anything...
                        Cheers,
                        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I have never really thought of jewellery as there are so many people in the market already but maybe I should make a few other things and see how they go. My daughter got me to make her a pair of earrings from little mini spinning tops I had done, daft bat that she is

Pete
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

Gorgeous Pete, love the patterns in the yew!
                            Julia

http://www1.freewebs.com/jaydee67/index.htm

Comment

Nice thing about wood Scorch, it doesn't clatter, just a gentle tap.

Pete
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X