No announcement yet.

Opinions please! First real website :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please! First real website :)

Ok so it's not great yet (as editing is a little harder on this one!), but it had a free UK domain name (for two years) - but would anyone mind telling me what they think I could improve?

www.morgannacraft.co.uk

I keep fiddling with it, but constructive criticism would really help!

I'm also thinking of linking to other crafters' websites - figured anything would help with trying to get handcrafted treasures back into popular demand! So if anyone wouldn't mind having their site link on mine, message me your site address!

Cheers folks!
    www.morgannacraft.co.uk
    Facebook fan page!

Well done. I know how tricky and time consuming sorting out a website can be! I really like the gallery some lovely pics to display your lovely work.

Emma xx
    My Blog
    Twitter
    Facebook

Comment

Your website looks great - we've just updated ours too, must be something in the air!!

I love your gallery, your work is beautiful

I'm definitely interested in doing a link swap... shall add your link to my site asap!!

Laura xxx

Comment

Just had a thought, the images in your gallery are quite small - would it be possible to have them so when you click on each item a larger image opens?

With the small image it makes the smaller details and text on your work quite difficult to see (or is it just my rubbish eyesight?! hehe)

Laura xxx

Comment

Did you use tables to make your gallery? I found it easier using them. Overall it looks pretty good. You are just asking for people to contact you if they want to purchase and not trying to sell direct off the site?
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Looking good so far - personally, I would love to have an idea of pricing even if I can't order directly from the site. I wouldn't contact someone without an idea of price first as I might feel pressured into buying something at a price I wouldn't want to pay (if you know what I mean!).

I think your site would definitely benefit from an online shop of some sort - even if it is a link to a shop elsewhere (like Folksy). Perhaps you already have that on the agenda...

Loving the gallery to see your work. Well done.
            Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
            Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
            Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Well done on publishing your site. Everything on it works fine and your work is beautiful. I also like that in the writing on the homepage you have links I'm still working out how to do that. The only little quibble is to maybe change the order your pages are in so the gallery is is before the contacts. I know it's the first thing I go to on anyones website or have a few little thumbnails on the home page of your work.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Unfortunately she can't change the order as they are fixed in alphabetical as I found out. You can put one inside the other though to make it more compact.

Pete
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi, It's looking very nice I did have a bit of a problem with the gallery. My screen is small and it overlapped some of the pictures. Not sure if the table method bodrighy mentions would sort that? I also wondered if you could group similar items on separate pages?

Keep up the good work

cj
                  www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
                  Become a facebook fan
                  Check out my blog

Comment

Loving the colours and the layout as well - its a great base to build upon though

Keep us posted with the developments !

Francesca
                    * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
                    Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Hi there
                      Congrats on the new website...I find website ownership is a steep learning curve and frustrating at best...especially when formatting won't behave itself. I am by no means any expert so I thought I would simply tell you what I see and the impression it gave me as a first time visitor....and what I like to see when I visit a website with a view to purchase...and I hope it may be helpful.

Your homepage: Immediate impressions was that it is very dark (I think that was what you were going for?) - the text appears to be suffering from being auto-justified and there are some odd line breaks. Apart from the logo at the top there is only one picture and that is right at the bottom of the page after the text.
                      I would have liked a word about your craft and to have seen some indication of your work as soon the page loaded

About us page: again odd line breaks causing the text to seem disjointed.

Gallery: You have some gorgeous work featured but the current format presented me with a computer generated random collage effect with some pieces overlapped and many were partial images. It was very crowded and did not show your work to its best advantage.
                      I would like to see individual pictures perhaps with a line to two about each piece and an indication of the price and how to purchase.

News & Events page: This seemed the best in terms of formatting - the font size, while different to elsewhere on the site, was easier on the eye.

I hope some of the above may be helpful in terms of an outside visitor experience. I am in no position to offer advice really as i have been struggling to get my site right and I keep finding pesky formatting changes and typos even after checking and previewing...it seems that the more I tweak the more problems it raises so I have given up and am handing it over to a webby mate to fine tune...and until its fixed its not visible. What a cop out huh?

Wish you luck with ironing out the wrinkles/settling any website teething probs...your work is fabulous. Wish I lived close enough to get to the event on 16th Oct. I am sure you will do well there.

Comment

Well done, the sites looking great (I know how much hard work it is setting up a website!!) Love your work Only thing I would say has already been mentioned...a price guide would be great even if you are not selling directly from your site.
                        Ayla Jewellery: www.aylajewellery.co.uk
                        Folksy: http://www.folksy.com/shops/AylaJewellery
                        Misi: http://www.misi.co.uk/shop_info.php?...=aylajewellery

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Cat View Post
                          Hi, It's looking very nice I did have a bit of a problem with the gallery. My screen is small and it overlapped some of the pictures. Not sure if the table method bodrighy mentions would sort that? I also wondered if you could group similar items on separate pages?

Keep up the good work

cj
                          I have used the same site to do one today using the tables, see if it does it on mine at www.bodrighywood.co.uk

pete
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                            I have used the same site to do one today using the tables, see if it does it on mine at www.bodrighywood.co.uk

pete
                            Oooh that's done a whole world of strange things on my netbook!

Wanted to upload a screenshot, but can't . Column widths are all messed with, and pics have gone all over the place.

Hmmm.

Sarah Gail Designs
                            Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
                            Crafty Cat Events
                            Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post

pete
                              Looking good Pete. Your pictures work better on my screen. They seem to keep the table format. Having said that if I reduce the size of my window further the background scales and the pictures don't. Not sure how many people will see that though.

cj
                              www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
                              Become a facebook fan
                              Check out my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X